RDP cannot connect in home network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Fabster

RDP cannot connect in home network

Post by Fabster »

Hi,
I have a very strange issue.
I have a virtualbox running on MAC (Mojave).
There I am running a Windows 10 VM.
In the VM I have Cisco VPN installed and it is workign fine.
My issue is the following.
Only when I am at home I can start the VM, then I can start the VPN (it connects successfully) but when I am trying to connect over RDP to a server the RDP cannot connect.
When I am using a windows maschine, connected to the same network all is running fine.
When I am in the office or in a hotel all is running fine.
It only does not work when I am at home.
The Network adapter is set to bridged.
I switch firewalls (MAC and Windows 10) off and on but nothing changed.
Can someone help me on this?
Thanks and kind regards,
Fabster
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: RDP cannot connect in home network

Post by socratis »

Fabster wrote:It only does not work when I am at home.
There's something wrong with your home! ;)
The networking part that is. We can't be at your home, and can't know the details. It's you I'm afraid the one that will have to solve this.

Not a very helpful answer, I know, but if you came to the conclusion that it works everywhere else (including hotels) and not at your home, then as I said, look what's different in your home router.
Fabster wrote:The Network adapter is set to bridged.
Over WiFi or wired? Try with wired if you can. WiFi Bridging might have issues, due to the spec.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Fabster

Post by Fabster »

Hi,

yes I was knowing that such comments will come :lol:

Yes, it is bidget over WiFi. But in the Office and in the Hotel it is bridged over WiFi as well and at home the windows maschine is connected over WiFi as well.

Kind regards,

Fabster
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Fabster wrote:Yes, it is bidget over WiFi. But in the Office and in the Hotel it is bridged over WiFi as well and at home the windows maschine is connected over WiFi as well.
It is a bit vague as to what will and won't work in what circumstances. My Windows laptop (about 4 years old) quite happily supports bridged over Wi-Fi but my 2017 iMac which is sat next to it won't.

It requires the right combination of Wi-Fi hardware, device driver, access point, phase of the moon, ...

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Fabster

Post by Fabster »

Hi,

I tried it with NAT but that is not working as well.

But as I understand it is more a hardware issue...

Kind regards,

Fabster
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I have a "standard" answer for cases like that. Note the last paragraph...

Bridged over wireless don't always play nice. Bridged networking is outside the WLAN specification. Bridging to wireless is not really bridging. The guest shares the MAC of the host and the host does a sort of MAC-NAT translation based on IP addresses. Promiscuous mode doesn't exist in the official WLAN specifications. It may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience.

For example, it works fine in my home, but not in my office. Same laptop, same VM. Try to see if it works either with wired bridged or with NAT.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Switches are a standard part of Ethernet network structures, so every Ethernet LAN router knows that it may see multiple MACs on one port.

Switches don't exist in WiFi networks. All transponders have one to one connections. Now whomever wrote the drivers may have based them on Ethernet code so they'll accept a switch anyway, but there's no way to be sure except to try it.

I've never had a problem with it myself, but if I did then I'd be researching whether enabling promiscuous mode was a good idea or made a difference.
Fabster

Post by Fabster »

Hi,

just to clarify.

When I am at home only the RDP is not working.

The VPN and Internet is working fine.

This evening I can try to connect ovre an other router.

Kind regards,

Fabster
Fabster

Post by Fabster »

Hi,

I changed now the router, I tryied all networkcards in the virtualbox and I tried to set up the promiscuous mode, but now sucess at all.

Any other ideas?

Kind regards,

Fabster
Fabster

Post by Fabster »

Hi,

now I am a step further...

When I ping the servers the wrong IP-Adress is returned.

When I am using the right IP-Adress all is working fine.

Kind regards,

Fabster
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Fabster wrote:When I ping the servers the wrong IP-Adress is returned.
What does even mean? Are you pinging by name?