Everything over 5.0.4 is unusably slow in MacBook Pro

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
wfu-cer-developer

Everything over 5.0.4 is unusably slow in MacBook Pro

Post by wfu-cer-developer »

Please bear with me as I'm not at all an expert with VirtualBox..

We are using VBox on our MacBook Pro's to develop applications. We have a few developers using a few different MacBooks, but all the same operating system. We have discovered that ONLY on the MacBook Pro models, regardless of the OS, VBox is slow. Very slow. Unusable.

This was not an issue as we were using 5.0.4 from the archives and would work at a normal speed. Anything over 5.0.4, though, would not work.

With Mojave, now 5.0.4 is not working, forcing the upgrade.

How can we get the newer versions of VBox to work on a MacBook Pro? What am I doing wrong? I'm assuming you will need log files but I also don't know how to generate those. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Everything over 5.0.4 is unusably slow in MacBook Pro

Post by mpack »

Since you don't explicitly say which was the latest version you tried, your report isn't of much use. However, there were relevant fixes in the current release, 5.2.22, so I suggest you try that, especially if you find that disabling audio also cures the CPU problem.
wfu-cer-developer

We have tried everything after 5.0.4, including the latest 5.2.22. Audio is disabled and, no dice.
wfu-cer-developer

Well this has been about as helpful as I feared it would be.. :/
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Well without any of the minimum information needed for assistance our crystal balls are very cloudy about your system situation...
wfu-cer-developer

Martin wrote:Well without any of the minimum information needed for assistance our crystal balls are very cloudy about your system situation...
That's great, thank you! As I said in my original post, I knew you guys would need more information but unsure how to get it!
  • Version 5.2.22
  • Host is MacBook Pro, Mojave, Version 10.14.1. Memory: 16GB, Graphics: Radeon Pro 560 and Intel HD Graphics 630. Processor: 2.9GHz Intel Core i7
  • Guest is Ubuntu 16.04
  • Log file is attached.
Attachments
vagrant-aws-registration_default_1542038575804_36629-2018-11-13-08-53-20.log.zip
(27.88 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Last edited by socratis on 21. Nov 2018, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

There have been several occasions of reports of VirtualBox being slow on recent MBPs. Unfortunately nothing reproducible, a.k.a. none knows what causes it, a.k.a. not fixable.

Search the forums for recent posts. Example: If you find a "trend", I'm sure it would be appreciated.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
clouddev

Post by clouddev »

Gotta be an MBP specific issue..all the reports of this I've seen are MBP related. I had been running with 5.0.4 for as long a I could, until I updated to Mojave yesterday and had to install 6.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

clouddev wrote:Gotta be an MBP specific issue
You gotta be specific. I have two of them[1], which one are you referring to? Because I sure don't have a problem with either of them...

And please, you already have posted several posts in another thread (Very poor performance Mac OS host), don't wake up every thread in the forums...

[1]: Details in the thread that you have already posted several times.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
clouddev

Post by clouddev »

No problem, I'll try to limit the discussion to the main thread. (I only have access to one MBP model (2018 15" i7) so it's just my observation from other threads/issue trackers that typically it's MBPs that have been reported to manifest the behavior - maybe just Retina models).