Audio device not selectable running windows on OSX

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
dkr

Audio device not selectable running windows on OSX

Post by dkr »

I have been looking through these forums and i can't find a current solution to this problem.

Vriualbox seems to ignore my default sound device for OSX, i have an audio device that works great in all normal circumstances in osx for all other applications however when i use virtualbox it chooses to use the audio output assigned for the hdmi out rather than the default device.

I am prepared to recompile the source if i have to, does anyone have any suggestion to ensure that the actual OSX default sound output is used for any virtualbox sessions? (or an ability so i can manually select it?)

Obviously my pro audio sound card output needs to be used when i use sound software inside the virtual box session not the crappy speakers connected to my monitor.

Sound in the emulation is working perfectly .. just can't select the device i need.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Audio device not selectable running windows on OSX

Post by socratis »

You can't select a specific audio device. VirtualBox selects the default one, as this is set from the System Preferences » Sound » Output. It's been like that (working with no problems) for ever.

Given the fact that you have mutliple audio outputs, I'm a little bit suspicious as to what else you might have installed in your host in terms of audio software. Any Audio Hijack, or SoundFlower, or anything else?

Not quite sure what you're looking for in terms of recompiling...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dkr

Post by dkr »

My default device selection in OSX works correctly I have set it and changed it rebooted several times.. and all other apps work correctly and follow that setting.

The virtualbox application seems to ignore it and for some reasons sends it out my hdmi connection .. i can even redirected my screen via airplay to an apple tv and THEN the sound comes across as you would imagine to the apple tv. The sound is working from windows through vriualbox.. it just dosent send it to the default device.

Im wondering if its maybe a capability question.. ie my different devices support different bit / hz combinations.. maybe its preferring the hdmi out because of that?

All other applications such as iTunes and music applications are set to use default device and play audio out the appropriate device.

After being unable to solve this and seeing older forum posts with similar problems (from a while ago) i have tested out the latest beta version which has the same problem. I have 20 years IT experience and worked as a programmer and have spend hours trying to fix this.. but to no avail.

I recently installed a version of soundflower (the iShowU filter) to see if i could use this to help fix the problem.. and with that set as the default device all applications on osx work correctly.. and virtualbox.. still sends it out the hdmi.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

dkr wrote:Im wondering if its maybe a capability question.. ie my different devices support different bit / hz combinations.. maybe its preferring the hdmi out because of that?
No. I had a setup like this. Not an issue...
dkr wrote:seeing older forum posts with similar problems (from a while ago)
Citation needed, because I don't remember something like that. Maybe they're way too old?

Maybe you should start by uninstalling your 3rd party, system modifying software? Starting with SoundFlower which has been dead since 10.10? Same with iShowU, starting early 2018?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dkr

Post by dkr »

I will try all these things and take screenshots...

I appreciate i can see you want to help. Its very strange because all the other apps in osx provide an ability to use default (which works fine for every other app) and many allow me to select (which is also good and would be a great feature).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

dkr wrote:Its very strange because all the other apps in osx provide an ability to use default
Funny thing... that's what the developers think as well! :)
That's why they need to see a verbose audio log. To enable that, check the instructions at: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/AudioDebug and launch the VM with the extended logging enabled.
burnbrighter

Post by burnbrighter »

I did not see a solution to this problem posted. What was the outcome as I am having the same issue. I cannot direct the sound. The default device selection has no impact on the sound coming always out of my onboard speakers on my macbook pro. Is there any solution?
Soundless

Post by Soundless »

I am having the same, or a similar, issue.

With VirtualBox 6.0.x, if my output device on the Mac was changed (for example, I plugged in earphones, or connected to a BT device) my Windows guest used to lose sound output completely, until I restarted the guest.

Now, with VirtualBox 6.1, the output is not lost anymore (a slight improvement :-/), but the sound always goes to the MacBook speakers, no matter what I do or select Output Device. VirtualBox is the only Application with this behavior.
Soundless

Post by Soundless »

Addendum: It is stuck with the output device that was active when starting a particular VM.
Soundless wrote:I am having the same, or a similar, issue.

Now, with VirtualBox 6.1, the output is not lost anymore (a slight improvement :-/), but the sound always goes to the MacBook speakers, no matter what I do or select Output Device. VirtualBox is the only Application with this behavior.
Soundless

Post by Soundless »

Addendum II: If the active Output Device is removed (e.g. aux cable unplugged, BT device disconnected) the VM is liable to crash.
Soundless wrote:I am having the same, or a similar, issue.