Not installing on Mac OS X High Sierra

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
IvyParrot99

Not installing on Mac OS X High Sierra

Post by IvyParrot99 »

Hi all...

I am trying to install VB 5.22.0, the latest version off the Oracle website and when I try and install the VB itself it goes through the process then at the end it says failed to install-contact Oracle.

I noticed that the app was installed, so I opened it, and tried to install win10 64bit.iso downloaded off the win10 website, I know this version works as I used this to re-install win10 on an HP laptop.

But when I try and install on VB, it reports 2 errors...
ERROR 1: Kernal driver not installed (rc=-1908)
Make sure the kernal has been loaded successfully
Where: suplibOsInit
What: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908)
-The support driver is not installed on Linux open returned ENOEN

ERROR 2:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine windows 10.

The virtual machine 'windows 10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

Now I cannot delete the app from my High Sierra OS.....

Any ideas...I just need to test a simple issue...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Not installing on Mac OS X High Sierra

Post by socratis »

1. You posted in the "Windows Guests" section, while you have a problem with your "OSX Host". Moving accordingly.
  2. If the installation of the program fails, why do you insist on using it? After a clear failure? Of course you're going to get the "Kext not installed"; the installation failed! ;)
  3. You do not "delete the app", there's a specific "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool" script that you need to run. You cannot delete kernel drivers by dragging an app in the Trash.
  4. Take a look at the sticky in the "OSX Hosts" section: Installation fails on 10.13.x (rc=-1908), it contains the solution.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
IvyParrot99

Post by IvyParrot99 »

I just need to use it to check one item, that is all, nothing hard with what I need VB to do...
Not to be too obtuse but how hard would it have been to have fixed the installer so that the kext [what is that???] actually works...

Thanks for the link, and I read it, and it does not help at all...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

IvyParrot99 wrote:I just need to use it to check one item, that is all, nothing hard with what I need VB to do...
Completely irrelevant. You may need to play Minesweeper in a VM, you may need to run the VirtualBox forums in a VM. The instructions are still the same, the same rules apply.
IvyParrot99 wrote:Not to be too obtuse but how hard would it have been to have fixed the installer
You didn't read the link I gave you, did you? Please complain to Apple...
IvyParrot99 wrote:so that the kext [what is that???] actually works...
Searching for "kext" might have some clues...
IvyParrot99 wrote:Thanks for the link, and I read it, and it does not help at all...
Yes it does. If you don't understand what needs to be done, then seek help from someone that can follow the instructions. BTW, it's the same Apple article that comes first if you search for "kext"...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.