Cannot see outside world in Windows guest on Mac Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
BigBear

Cannot see outside world in Windows guest on Mac Host

Post by BigBear »

I've installed Virtual Box Version 5.2.20 r125813 (Qt5.6.3) on a MacBook Pro running MacOS Sierra version 10.12.05. Running a Windows 10 (64 bit) VM.

I cannot see a USB drive in the guest. When I connect the USB I see "Failed to attach the USB device SanDisk Cruzer 3.0 to the virtual machine Windows. Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device. Error: VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS"

I cannot see a CD/DVD drive attached to the host either.

I have attached my router directly by ethernet cable, but the guest can't see it either.

And I've been unable to set up a shared folder between host and guest as I've seen in other posts that VB does not support that on Mac OSX.

My guess is that part of this problem is that all of the externals must attach through a Thuderbolt/USB-C adapter. I should say also that I'm using Belkin adaptors for Mac USB-C in all cases. I'm guessing maybe the Windows guest doesnt recognize the adapter. But without the ability to get to any external, I don't know how to load any special drivers or other solutions, nor can I print or move files. No amount of settings changes seems to fix these problems.

Can anyone help? I'm no IT pro, I'm just a dad trying to get a VM working in order to use software which has not been (and will not be, apparently) sold for Macs.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot see outside world in Windows guest on Mac Host

Post by socratis »

First of all, your thread involves multiple issues. Since it's your first post, I'll let it stand, but remember; 1 issue per thread, 1 thread per issue...
BigBear wrote:Error: VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS"
Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
BigBear wrote:I cannot see a CD/DVD drive attached to the host either.
Of course you won't right out of the box. The idea is that a VM should be isolated, not see everything that your host sees. What's going to happen if your VM gets a virus and your taxes/financial records now can be accessed by the VM/rogue sites? Not a good idea... :(

If you want to have access to your physical CD/DVD, then do this, either from the VM Settings » Storage, or from the Details:

BigBear wrote:And I've been unable to set up a shared folder between host and guest as I've seen in other posts that VB does not support that on Mac OSX.
OSX shared folders when OSX runs as a guest, not as a host. You need to install the Guest Additions (GAs) for the shared folders to work. See ch. 4.2 of the User Manual (Help » Contents).
BigBear wrote:My guess is that part of this problem is that all of the externals must attach through a Thuderbolt/USB-C adapter.
No. Not until you've read the "USB basics and troubleshooting".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.