VBHeadless suddenly requires the microphone to be active when starting Vagrant Box

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
retrovertigo
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Win XP, Win 7

VBHeadless suddenly requires the microphone to be active when starting Vagrant Box

Post by retrovertigo »

After updating to VB 5.2.20 when starting Homestead/Vagrant it requires activating the microphone on my machine:
screenshots.firefox.com/OgY82ROnL4TsU38j/files.slack.com [ModEdit: screenshot "expired", that's why you should attach images locally]

If I block the request booting fails.

I for now manually set the mic to low, but I might downgrade VB soon and see if the issue persists or not.
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBHeadless suddenly requires the microphone to be active when starting Vagrant Box

Post by socratis »

1. Vagrant is a program that relies on VirtualBox but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own Vagrant support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox, then we can continue this discussion.
  2. This icon is not a VirtualBox icon. Who/what is causing this dialog to pop up?
  3. I'm not sure I understand the following statement. What does "set the mic to low" mean?
    retrovertigo wrote:I for now manually set the mic to low
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
retrovertigo

Re: VBHeadless suddenly requires the microphone to be active when starting Vagrant Box

Post by retrovertigo »

Thanks for getting back to me socratis!

I now found the setting. Just had to deactivate Audio input - maybe it wasn't activated before or couldn't be used by the box for some reason!?
See screenshot

Just to quickly reply to your response:
1) fair enough
2) https://objective-see.com/products/oversight.html
3) I changed the setting in my macOS host by kinda switching the mic off there (macOS > System Preferences > Sound > Input Volumn)
Attachments
vb-audio-settings.png
vb-audio-settings.png (77.47 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
retrovertigo

Post by retrovertigo »

To add to this, here is the error message when I block the request to access the mic:

Code: Select all

default: Warning: Connection reset. Retrying...
There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["showvminfo", "32053cd8-775a-467f-abe3-323364b8a164", "--machinereadable"]

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: The object is not ready
VBoxManage: error: Details: code E_ACCESSDENIED (0x80070005), component SessionMachine, interface IMachine, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "COMGETTER(BandwidthControl)(bwCtrl.asOutParam())" at line 2322 of file VBoxManageInfo.cpp
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@retrovertigo
This is not a message that I'm familiar with, maybe it's Vagrant specific? I wouldn't know.

BTW, I just went to check the image from your first post, and it has expired! That's why you should attach images locally... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
retrovertigo

Post by retrovertigo »

socratis wrote:@retrovertigo
This is not a message that I'm familiar with, maybe it's Vagrant specific? I wouldn't know.
fair enough. thanks for checking it.
socratis wrote: BTW, I just went to check the image from your first post, and it has expired! That's why you should attach images locally... ;)
Yeap, I saw that today as well. for general reference it was a screenshot similar to this
webcamAlert.png
webcamAlert.png (14.92 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
from https://objective-see.com/products/oversight.html