Windows guest very slow on USB Stick

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
fobus

Windows guest very slow on USB Stick

Post by fobus »

Hello,

I have moved my Virtualbox disk to my USB Stick. My USB stick is the fastest that I can find in market.
Here is it : Sandisk Ultra Dual Drive Usb Type-c (128 GB)

But guest OS (Windows 10) started working extremely slow after I moved it to USB Stick.

Can you please help me? Any suggestions for performance?

Virtualbox UI Version : 5.1.30
Host Machine : Macbook Pro 2016 with touch bars.
Guest OS : Windows 10
Guest Additions installed.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows guest very slow on USB Stick

Post by socratis »

fobus wrote:Can you please help me? Any suggestions for performance?
Stay away from USB sticks, it's rather obvious I believe. ;)
If anything, a USB3 hard drive is better, but still it's going to be really, really slow, especially when compared to an internal SSD. That's physics and mathematics, can't change the laws...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fobus

Post by fobus »

But My USB sticks read-write performance is good.
Read : 150 MB/s
It is better than a psychical hard drive.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fobus wrote:It is better than a psychical hard drive.
No, it's not. From the specifications page for the SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive USB Type-c. Emphasis mine:
32GB-256GB: Read speeds up to 150MB/s. Write speeds lower and vary by capacity.
USB sticks are mainly for reading, not writing. They really suffer on the writing part. Did you notice that they won't even mention the write throughput? And even with those read numbers, it's way slower than a SATA SSD at around 2500 MB/s. Not even close...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fobus

Post by fobus »

Thanks,
Seems that reading speed deceives me.

What do you think if I use an External USB 3.1 Type-C HDD? Do I get any performance problem?
Last edited by socratis on 7. Oct 2018, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Unless you go for an SSD Thunderbolt drive, you will have performance issues.

What I personally do is that I have an external hard drive where I keep my VMs. When I want to use one, I copy it over to my internal SSD, and when I'm done I copy it back. A pain, but you have to compromise sometimes...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I discovered a new wrinkle with USB 3.1 flash drives myself, just last Thursday. I was copying a ~20GB file to a new Sandisk nano stick, the first several GB was transferred very quickly, I was very pleased. Then suddenly the throughput dropped to a tenth and remained like that to the end of the now much lengthened transfer. Less pleased! According to my research, some USB3 sticks deliberately throttle write speeds (after allowing an initial burst), to prevent it from overheating, which they are prone to do on write.

On Friday I did it again with an old Kingston USB 3.0 256GB flash thumb drive, which was very expensive when I bought it. It didn't slow down, but it did get a bit warm. So even that would be unsuitable for long term use with lots of writes (and a modern OS is fiddling with the drive continuously).

Another downside of USB technology. As far as I know it can only have one transaction pending at a time, per device, with a fairly high latency. A good quality SSD controller can have thousands of transactions going, with very low latency. The headline read speed is a start, but it's a long way from telling you the true performance of the drive.