System Storage on Mac

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
and11

System Storage on Mac

Post by and11 »

I had a virtual machine set up on my Mac. I removed it and then uninstalled virtualbox, but my storage is still showing that it’s there I think. It says I have about 35GB under system that are grayed out where I can’t manage it. How can I go about making sure it successfully gets removed?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: System Storage on Mac

Post by socratis »

and11 wrote:It says I have about 35GB under system that are grayed out where I can’t manage it.
Who says that?
and11 wrote:How can I go about making sure it successfully gets removed?
Removing VirtualBox is one thing. Removing its data (the VMs) is another. It's like saying "I removed iTunes but my MP3s are still there". Of course they're going to be...

Look under "/Users/<you>/VirtualBox VMs". See what's there. If you don't want your VMs anymore, just delete the whole folder.

And finally, here are a couple of programs that can help you figure out better where your HD space is going. Just remember; don't start deleting files randomly. For example if you still had VirtualBox and you found a big VDI file, don't just delete it without VirtualBox knowing about it, delete it from within VirtualBox:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.