Problem to install Windows 10 64 Enterprise Edition

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Faith89

Problem to install Windows 10 64 Enterprise Edition

Post by Faith89 »

Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows 10 64-bit Enterprise Edition and I'm desperate. I tried many many options but I have always the same problem
Windows_10__Running__and_Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Manager_and_w3.png
Windows_10__Running__and_Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Manager_and_w3.png (59.11 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
I did the following steps:

- Download the .exe file which it created the Bootable External Hard Disk drive (it asked me a 32GB free space and I used an External HDD)
- I followed a link to create a virtual disk in order to boot from a USB Drive in VirtualBox ---> The problem is that, VirtualBox erase my external HDD and install the OS on it but I want to Install the OS on my internal Mac disk

- With Disk Utility I created an ISO file utilising the external HDD which contain this folder
NO_NAME.png
NO_NAME.png (25.93 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
- Then I created a new virtual machine with "Create a new virtual Hard disk now" option
- Then, I selected "VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image)" option, dynamically allocated
- Then I selected the ISO file with the bootable files
Select_start-up_disk_and_Windows_10__Powered_Off_.png
Select_start-up_disk_and_Windows_10__Powered_Off_.png (118.71 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
And then it gives me the Fatal error. What did I do wrong?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Problem to install Windows 10 64 Enterprise Edition

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox has no option to install an OS from a USB drive. You need to download an ISO and use that. ISOs can be mounted directly in a VM.
Faith89

Post by Faith89 »

mpack wrote:VirtualBox has no option to install an OS from a USB drive. You need to download an ISO and use that. ISOs can be mounted directly in a VM.
As I said, I created an ISO file starting from the USB drive but VirtualBox didn't recognise the bootable ISO file :?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

As I said, download the ISO. Then you know it has been created with the correct tools.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Faith89 wrote:I created an ISO file starting from the USB drive
You copied a bunch of files from the USB into an ISO file. That does not make the ISO bootable. A bootable ISO has a special format, something that you can't easily make yourself. Do what mpack said and download a proper ISO.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Faith89

Post by Faith89 »

Ok, My problem is that I have an Enterprise Edition of Windows 10 (which means a custom version of Windows 10 branded by the company which I work). Anyway, I finally found the ISO file for VM.

Now, my company requires a Secure Boot enabled. Is there a solution for that? Because I didn't find a solution over internet. For the moment, I just changed the chipset from PIIX3 to ICH9 and it seems that it works but I'm not sure. Anyone can help me?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Faith89 wrote:Now, my company requires a Secure Boot enabled.
  1. Why? Why do they even care for a VM?
  2. VirtualBox doesn't provide the Secure Boot BIOS/EFI options.
  3. I don't see how changing from PIIX3 to ICH9 will help you. ICH9 is still experimental, buggy, and only meant for OSX guests.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Faith89

Post by Faith89 »

1) Sincerely, I don't know. It is a requirements
2) Ok
3) Ok

Then, I finished my questions :D Thanks a lot for the supports
Last edited by socratis on 26. Sep 2018, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.