Installation Failed on Mac High Sierra- 10.13.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
SharkeyDIT

Re: Can only run VirtualBox when SIP is disabled

Post by SharkeyDIT »

Could I try uninstalling homebrew and fixing my path var?

Edit : Uninstalled brew and reset my path variable did nothing, going to reinstall my os
Last edited by SharkeyDIT on 6. Oct 2018, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can only run VirtualBox when SIP is disabled

Post by socratis »

That would be a really good thing to try, absolutely!

I've 1) edited my previous post, so please read it again, 2) merged your thread with the other I pointed to; better coordination.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SharkeyDIT

Re: Installation Failed on Mac High Sierra- 10.13.6

Post by SharkeyDIT »

I tried it, uninstalled and reset path to default no luck :x , Might just reinstall the OS, should I upgrade to Mojave or reinstall an older high sierra.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SharkeyDIT wrote:should I upgrade to Mojave or reinstall an older high sierra.
Either or. With the exception of your report and the report of "Explo1t" we haven't had any other fail reports.

@Explo1t
I'm sorry, but I forgot to ask you; do you have Homebrew or MacPorts installed? Please post the output of:
  • 
    echo $PATH
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SharkeyDIT

Post by SharkeyDIT »

Upgrade to mojave WORKED !!!!!!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Nope. It's the fresh installation of the OS that made it work... ;)
I bet you that if you re-install 10.13, it will work again, no issues...
fins_

Post by fins_ »

I had the same issue, 10.3.6, latest version, path all screwed up, homebrew etc installed. Same issue:

Code: Select all

authentication failure (file ownership/permissions)
Had granted the kext in recovery mode, no dice. What fixed it was from stackoverflow (cant post link! google it..) macos-kext-with-valid-signature-rejected-after-2nd-installation-high-sierra

ls -laO /Library/StagedExtensions/
did not show restricted for me, so another trip to recovery mode and running

chflags -R restricted /V*/*/Library/StagedExtensions
solved it for me!
Last edited by socratis on 4. Sep 2019, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fins_ wrote:
ls -laO /Library/StagedExtensions/
OK, the "-O" switch is a new one for me, I had to look it up and see what it actually does:
$ man ls
   -a  Include directory entries whose names begin with a dot (.).
   -l  (The lowercase letter ``ell''.)  List in long format.  (See below.)  If the output is to a ter-
       minal, a total sum for all the file sizes is output on a line before the long listing.
   -O  Include the file flags in a long (-l) output.
File flags!!! Haven't seen those used in ages! :o
So... the "-O" switch shows the added attributes as set/uset by the "chflags" command. Interestingly enough, the "restricted" is not an option on my 10.11.6 OSX host, it must have been a later addition, I believe as part of the Gatekeeper/WalledGarden policies.
fins_ wrote:did not show restricted for me, so another trip to recovery mode and running
chflags -R restricted /V*/*/Library/StagedExtensions
solved it for me!
Not sure why a direct application wouldn't work, but a recursive on every single mounted volume would. The miracles of software I guess? Did you actually try and failed with the following command?
sudo chflags -R restricted /Library/StagedExtensions
In any case, thank you 'fins_' for the information, it's an additional arrow in the quiver... ;)
fins_

Post by fins_ »

socratis wrote:Not sure why a direct application wouldn't work, but a recursive on every single mounted volume would. The miracles of software I guess? Did you actually try and failed with the following command?
Just a copy and paste from stackoverfolw; the path under recovery mode is

/Volumes/<whatever>/Library/StagedExtensions
/Library under recovery mode is not the one on your boot disk, so changing permissions/flags there is moot.