How to install Windows 10 on Mac using an external drive with virtualbox ..?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
thomast33

How to install Windows 10 on Mac using an external drive with virtualbox ..?

Post by thomast33 »

Hello,

I've been looking for it for a while now and I've read lot of thing and at the end I still don't know what the right process is.

So if me request is possible, do you have a link or a explanation on how to do it.

To be more precise, I have a 32 GB or 64 GB flash drive. (I just need windows 10 to run a simple software so even a simple installation is enough)

Thanks a lot.

Thomas
Last edited by thomast33 on 22. Sep 2018, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to install Windows 10 on Mac using an external drive with virtualbox ..?

Post by socratis »

• If you haven't created the VM yet, change the VirtualBox Preferences » General » Default Machine Folder and then create the VM.
  • If you have created the VM, see Moving a VM.
I would suggest to create the VM in your internal HD first and then move it to the flash by using the Moving a VM article, since USB sticks are not great for constant read/writes. Plus they're a lot slower. A lot.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.