Kali Linux Guest VM runs extremely slow on MacOS host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
JSNOW

Kali Linux Guest VM runs extremely slow on MacOS host

Post by JSNOW »

I recently installed the newest version of virtualbox along with Kali Linux 2018.3. Settings are done on the level that my host machine should be able to handle it.
However, the Kali Linux is extremely laggy even when I am only running terminal on Kali.
I have checked the other topics with their solution (3D on and off, re-check the settings and so on)

I have found a few problems in the log such as:

- AIOMgr host limits number of active IO request to 16

But I dont know how to fix this particularly.

See attachment for the vbox log file.

P.S. Installed guest edition, helping a bit only.
Attachments
Vbox_log.zip
(28.04 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Kali Linux Guest VM runs extremely slow on MacOS host

Post by socratis »

I have a MBPr11,3 running 10.11.6. With the exception of the CPUs (I have 2 for the VM) comparing the two logs is like comparing two drops of water. And my Kali is working OK. Maybe if you give it a 2nd CPU and see how it goes?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JSNOW

Post by JSNOW »

socratis wrote:I have a MBPr11,3 running 10.11.6. With the exception of the CPUs (I have 2 for the VM) comparing the two logs is like comparing two drops of water. And my Kali is working OK. Maybe if you give it a 2nd CPU and see how it goes?
I am using the Macbook pro 15 from 2017 with touchbar with 10.13.6. Already tried with 2 CPUs, but no performance increase. I think working with the vm is do-able, but running and writing python script in pycharm is very annoying since the letters are lagging.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So... Wait a minute... We went from "runs extremely slow" to "writing python script in pycharm is very annoying since the letters are lagging"?

That was the ... "extremely slow"? :roll:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JSNOW

Post by JSNOW »

Works only in terminal > Extremely slow
Works in pycharm > Not do-able.

Fine with that?

Still it does not make sense that a VM is this laggy, when i see other VMs on youtube working perfectly fine.

To give you a more detailed of "extremely slow": random lag spikes whenever changing tabs, moving just the terminal to the left or right is very laggy. Opening more programs on kali is pumping virtualbox CPU usage through the roof. Its just one example of pycharm not able to be even write a normal script
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, let's try from the beginning. I have a Kali VM based on "kali-linux-light-2018.1-i386.iso". What do you have so that I can install another VM to try it out?