DnD not working Mac Host, Ubuntu Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Wags391

DnD not working Mac Host, Ubuntu Guest

Post by Wags391 »

Hello.

I am a new virtualization student. I am just beginning to work with VB on my Mac. I cannot seem to get DnD to work in one instance.

Host- Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.5
Guest 1- Windows 10
Guest 2- Ubuntu 16.04

I'm able to network share between both.
I can drag and drop bidirectionally with the Windows guest.
I canNOT drag and drop at all with the Ubuntu 16 guest.

Yes, Guest Additions are installed: VirtualBox 5.2.18, Guest Additions 5.2.18

Is there a compatibility issue?

Any help is appreciated.

-Wags
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: DnD not working Mac Host, Ubuntu Guest

Post by socratis »

Look at your guest's "/tmp" directory.
But since DnD has issues (generally speaking), and since you can network share between them, I'd suggest you go with the networking share option.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Wags391

Post by Wags391 »

I have seen how DnD has issues, after all of the searching around on the forum and Google. I'm trying to complete this task for a class assignment, but I feel it is not going to work.

I've attached a screenshot of my /tmp folder. What should I be looking for in there?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 5.06.56 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 5.06.56 PM.jpg (41.4 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

There should be a "/tmp/VirtualBox Dropped Files/2018-09-17T22:19:44.358198000Z/Dropped file", but apparently it's not. But I see that you already have mapped the folder. Why not use that?

In any event, if you want to continue with this, we're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
PS. Next time, please downsize your attached images by 50% (at least), or simply change the DPI to 72. Not everyone is blessed with a HiDPI display. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Wags391

Post by Wags391 »

Hah! I tried to shrink the image! I even went back and uploaded a different one after seeing how huge the original was. Apparently not enough.

We were tasked with mapping shared folders and messing with DnD. I don't particularly need it, but now I'm so far in, I want to know why it won't work.

Log file attached.

Received this error trying to DnD from Host to Guest:
Drag and drop operation from host to guest failed.

Drag and drop error from host (VERR_NO_TRANSLATION).

Result Code: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component: GuestWrap
Interface: IGuest {13a11514-402e-022e-6180-c3944de3f9c8}

Received a "Dropping data ..." message when trying to DnD from Guest to Host. Had to X out of that, then the VirtualBox VM "quit unexpectedly."
Attachments
Ubuntu 16 Desktop-2018-09-17-18-38-45.log.zip
(17.46 KiB) Downloaded 20 times