[Solved] Inaccessible Windows because of duplicate GA ISOs

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
greenie1

[Solved] Inaccessible Windows because of duplicate GA ISOs

Post by greenie1 »

First of all, I'm a novice at this, so please have patience with my fumbling around. I have been using VBox with Windows 7 attached for several months. It has worked admirably. Yesterday I installed the update, 5.1.18. When I rebooted VBox, I received the following message:

Cannot attach medium'/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VboxGuestAdditions.iso {ee078daa-01d1-4b16-a9d9-05d847710e77}: medium is already associated with the current state of machine uuid {f6d0d55e-1c1c-4737-a402-5569d2548fc}!.

Result Code: VBOX_E_OBJECT_IN_USE (0x80BB000C)
Component: Medium Wrap
Interface: IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}

After reading similar issues on this forum, I checked Virtual Media Manager and found out that I have two GA ISOs. The Release button is grayed out. When I hit the Remove button, it only removes it while i'm in that screen. When I go back to the VBox program, the ISO copy is still there. Please help this old man figure this out. Many thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Inaccessible Windows because of duplicate GA ISOs

Post by mpack »

You should either remember to eject media that might change before taking a snapshot, or better yet stop using snapshots.

Look for the .vbox file in the VM folder, zip it up and post the zip here.
greenie1

Post by greenie1 »

Thanks for your response. How do I upload the zipped file to this post? (As I indicated, I'm a novice here.)
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You obviously know how to post, so next time you do it just notice the "Upload attachment" tab below the text entry box. You browse to select the zip file, then click "Add the file" to attach it.
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (6.9 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
greenie1

Post by greenie1 »

Thanks for your patience. Win 7.vbox.zip attached.
Attachments
Win 7.vbox.zip
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, I guessed wrong, so it's a good thing I asked for data. Your problem was not that your VM had snapshots, instead you had somehow contrived to have two DVD drives defined in the VM, each of which had mounted the same CD. Obviously that would be impossible in the physical world. For good measure you also had another CD image registered called "VBoxGuestAdditions - copy.iso". You should never copy the GAs ISO for any reason, it can only cause confusion.

On the two drives problem, that mistake most likely occurred because at some point you wanted to change media, but instead of changing media in an existing drive, you added a new drive and then changed the media in that. The buttons on the LEFT of the Storage panel (in VM settings) have to do with adding and removing drives. You should have little reason to modify that side in an established VM. To change media you should select a drive on left, and then use the RIGHT (attributes) panel to select the media file or host drive that you wish to associate with the virtual drive.

Attached you will find a zipped replacement "Win 7.vbox" file which you should use to overwrite your non-working one. Of course no part of VirtualBox can be running when you do that.
Attachments
Win 7.vbox.zip
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
greenie1

Post by greenie1 »

Thanks for your help. All is well.