Can not complete install Windows 10 on High Sierra & VirtualBox 5.2.18

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
madd0g
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Can not complete install Windows 10 on High Sierra & VirtualBox 5.2.18

Post by madd0g »

I'm using Mac OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra) and VIrtualBox 5.2.18. Attempting (Unsuccessfully) to install Windows 10 on a VM I created.

This all seems to be setting issues not all that clear.

The Windows 10 (64-bit) is the version I trying to get installed.

I set the USB settings to support sharing and setup a USB filter as directed in another thread. I made shared folders accessible in High Sierra.

Everything I do the Win10 USB device is blocked (greyed out).

I need detailed specific instructions. Nothing seems to make sense.

Because this is an older iMac, I am relegated to USB 2.0 which is support in VirtualBox 5.2.18 and I have added the correct VirtualBox extension support for this version.

Please let me know what I am getting wrong in my configuration.
Attachments
My shared Folders Setting in VirtualBox.
My shared Folders Setting in VirtualBox.
Win10 Shared Folders Setup.png (50.58 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
The result of the settings used.
The result of the settings used.
Win10 Halted.png (30.29 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
Win10 Option is shown greyed out.
Win10 Option is shown greyed out.
Win10 USB image Locked Out.png (35.64 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can not complete install Windows 10 on High Sierra & VirtualBox 5.2.18

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox does not support booting from a USB device (not easily at least). You need to get yourself a "proper" install media.

Option 1: You get a Win10 ISO from Microsoft. You create a Win10 VM, install using the downloaded ISO. 4.4 GB, version 1803, build 17134.

Option 2: You download a pre-made Win10 VM from Microsoft (saves you the installation time), and I believe it has a longer time-to-die contract, but you can't activate it, it will simply die. You can activate one with the ISO method, that's why I suggested that one first.

There are two kinds of VMs, if you choose to go down that road:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
madd0g

Post by madd0g »

I have tried the first link you gave. Doesn't work, though I may have a setting wrong. I tried having the the iso file be a virtual CD/DVD.
Directly to the iso file downloaded. Then I clicked to open the iso file to a drive called CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9. I tried linking to it.
Didn't though both have a different reason failing to boot than before.
Attachments
Win10 V2803 B17284.jpg
Win10 V2803 B17284.jpg (59.27 KiB) Viewed 4993 times
madd0g

Post by madd0g »

I'm becoming of a mind that on a Mac VirtualBox is just not compatible with Windows 10 and maybe I should consider using VMware.
madd0g

Post by madd0g »

Also on a Mac Internet Explorer compatibility means nothing.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

madd0g wrote:Then I clicked to open the iso file to a drive called CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9. I tried linking to it.
I don't have a clue what that means, honestly.

Download the ISO. It has worked for everyone and their cousins. You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
madd0g

Post by madd0g »

socratis wrote:
madd0g wrote:Then I clicked to open the iso file to a drive called CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9. I tried linking to it.
I don't have a clue what that means, honestly.
I don't either.
socratis wrote:Download the ISO. It has worked for everyone and their cousins. You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.
Odd, you would think someone who claimed to be helpful would not insult that person. I've been using VirtualBox on/off since around late 2014 (think versions were in the 4s].
One thing I do remember was I never got it to work that well on a Mac then either (always worked fine in Windows or Linux). I do remember someone that did have it working on a 32-bit Windows 7 version. Though i've lost touch with him now. What really annoys me is your manual is hyperlinked to death. Though I got a copy of the manual with the software.
I installed the extension to have USB support. Didn't work. Because Microsoft now sell Windows10 as a USB drive. I used the link to ISO file you or someone linked me to. Didn't work.
What would be nice would the Specific instructions to get ISO file loaded/linked to a virtual device (i would assume - virtual CD/DVD). Telling me to read the manual is like WTF, why have a forum where people could help one another.
Now one thing I do remember was that VMware Player was not available for Mac OS X, though for a price the Fusion software was and does work - I created a Window7 Prof 64-bit VM with back in 2014. I even think I still have that drive (running Mac OS X - Maverick). What I am attempting to do is use the current version Mac OS X - High Sierra to create a VM of Window10 Prof 64-bit w/o wasting $$$. I have read through the manual, just read in fact Mac OS X does not support VM Page Fusion when using multiple VMs. I guess I use only one VM at a time (esp. Windows).
I just went through the whole manual and did see any reference to my issue. Again what I am asking for assistance with the above connundrum. Please give me a direction if you know one. You do not have to hold my hand through the process. If you suggest wich section of the manual to reread. Please be specific. I am attempting to understand "specifically" what I need to configure the VDI for my virtual Windows10 Prof 64-bit machine is to configure so as to boot from an ISO file, since I can not use the USB thumb drive provided by Microsoft. The VMs provided by Microsoft expire Nov 1st, so they are totally useless. If you answer is some more vague "read the manual" CRAP don't waste your time or Mine!
:evil: :evil: :evil:
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Look, I don't know how many years you've used VirtualBox or not. I told you to read 3 specific chapters from the User Manual. Especially chapters 1.8 and 1.9, which contain the step-by-step instructions. Given an ISO (and had you read the chapters) you'd have a VM up and running.

So, please don't give me the "I read the whole manual" story, OK? I know very well what I'm talking about. And please cool down, we're volunteers, not your personal support, all right?
madd0g

Post by madd0g »

I DID READ THE WHOLE F*CKING MANUAL. IT DID NOT HAVE WHAT IS NEEDED TO COMPLETE THE TASK. I'M NOT THE IDIOT!!!!
Last edited by socratis on 19. Sep 2018, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

madd0g wrote:I DID READ THE WHOLE F*CKING MANUAL. IT DID NOT HAVE WHAT IS NEEDED TO COMPLETE THE TASK. I'M NOT THE IDIOT!!!!
I'll leave the mods / admins to deal with the shouty obscenities. Otherwise...
madd0g wrote:I'm becoming of a mind that on a Mac VirtualBox is just not compatible with Windows 10 and maybe I should consider using VMware.
Not true at all. I have a 2017 iMac running macOS 10.13.6 and have been running a Windows 10 guest for the whole of the 9 months I have owned it.

Lets go back a step or two...

1. Are you trying to install Windows 10 into a guest or are you trying to have a pre-existing Windows 10 disk partition boot in the guest?

2. If you are trying to install Windows 10 then presumably you have either a physical DVD or an .iso image. If it is the latter how was it created or where did it come from?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

This is Chapter 1.9.1, which you did NOT read, despite claiming that you read the whole manual (nobody has read the whole manual). You mean you skimmed through the manual:
When a VM gets started for the first time, another wizard – the “First Start Wizard” – will pop up to help you select an installation medium. Since the VM is created empty, it would otherwise behave just like a real computer with no operating system installed: it will do nothing and display an error message that no bootable operating system was found.
For this reason, the wizard helps you select a medium to install an operating system from.
  • If you have physical CD or DVD media from which you want to install your guest operating system (e.g. in the case of a Windows installation CD or DVD), put the media into your host’s CD or DVD drive.
    Then, in the wizard’s drop-down list of installation media, select “Host drive” with the correct drive letter (or, in the case of a Linux host, device file). This will allow your VM to access the media in your host drive, and you can proceed to install from there.
  • If you have downloaded installation media from the Internet in the form of an ISO image file (most probably in the case of a Linux distribution), you would normally burn this file to an empty CD or DVD and proceed as just described. With VirtualBox however, you can skip this step and mount the ISO file directly. VirtualBox will then present this file as a CD or DVD-ROM drive to the virtual machine, much like it does with virtual hard disk images.
For this case, the wizard’s drop-down list contains a list of installation media that were previously used with VirtualBox.

If your medium is not in the list (especially if you are using VirtualBox for the first time), select the small folder icon next to the drop-down list to bring up a standard file dialog, with which you can pick the image file on your host disks.

In both cases, after making the choices in the wizard, you will be able to install your operating system.
Now, yell once more and you're out of here, is that crystal clear?
madd0g

Post by madd0g »

I see where the disconnect is/was.

Now you could have been nice and said something like

"Caution: You might have better experience using VDI type of virtual drive (first option) rather than the other two. This is VirtualBox own drive type as in the picture below:"
VirtBox HD Type.jpg
VirtBox HD Type.jpg (57.7 KiB) Viewed 4914 times
With this I was able to get past my problem -->
Windows10 VM Started.jpg
Windows10 VM Started.jpg (100.85 KiB) Viewed 4914 times
Nooo. You had to go make aspersion as to my supposed lack of knowledge of the product. I may still be a junior user. I can read and did read the manual given. Nowhere I did I find the error I was having. What I discovered was that I was making the 2nd choice of making a VMware type of virtual hard disk.

So please, in the future, if I ask a question, just ignore my post and let someone else answer. I don't need your horrible banter as a poor attempt to answer the question, I might pose.

maddog
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

madd0g wrote:I don't need your horrible banter as a poor attempt to answer the question, I might pose.
I warned you. Get a 2 week cooling off ban period. Enough is enough of abuse...

In hindsight, I should have realized from your nickname.