[WorksForMe] Mac Install Corrupt all of a sudden?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
dstyp

[WorksForMe] Mac Install Corrupt all of a sudden?

Post by dstyp »

I'm on a 2015 Macbook Pro 15" with 10.13.6. Been running Win10 in a Vbox for a while.

Suddenly guest additions stopped working. No mounting available. Copy paste wouldnt work between systems either. Despite all of these options being activated.

Noticed that Win10 couldnt update due to needing more space. Looked up how to create more space.

Commands:
ds-MBP15:~ root# VBoxManage showhdinfo '/Users/dave/VirtualBox VMs/Windows 10/Windows 10.vbox'
VBoxManage: error: Could not get the storage format of the medium '/Users/dave/VirtualBox VMs/Windows 10/Windows 10.vbox' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "OpenMedium(Bstr(pszFilenameOrUuid).raw(), enmDevType, enmAccessMode, fForceNewUuidOnOpen, pMedium.asOutParam())" at line 179 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp
ds-MBP15:~ root#
This implies that the installation has been corrupted. Did my install become corrupt of a sudden???

Attaching log for reference.
Attachments
vboxlog.zip
(26.4 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Last edited by socratis on 23. Aug 2018, 16:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mac Install Corrupt all of a sudden?

Post by socratis »

dstyp wrote:When doing the "VBoxManage showhdinfo 'path to vbox'"
You're not supposed to have a 'path to vbox', you're supposed to have a 'path to vdi'.

Always post exact command input/output/error. Do not try to translate/interpret/obfuscate it, because things get "Lost in translation".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dstyp

Post by dstyp »

I apologize deeply for my mistake. I've updated the original post to reflect what I was "supposed" to do initially.

Again, I apologize.
Last edited by socratis on 22. Aug 2018, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

dstyp wrote:Did my install become corrupt of a sudden???
No, not at all. What happened is that you didn't issue the command correctly, or I should say, you didn't issue the command as the appropriate user:
dstyp wrote:root# VBoxManage showhdinfo '/Users/dave/VirtualBox VMs/Windows 10/Windows 10.vbox'
VirtualBox registers and runs in the context of each user. So, user A can't have access to the VMs (or the VDIs) of user B. That includes 'root'. Becoming 'root', 'admin' or anything else than the user that uses the VMs, won't be able to see the VMs.

What you need to do is to issue the same command as 'dave'. Not as 'root'. Being 'root' doesn't give you additional powers, not in the context of VirtualBox anyway. Don't switch users, be yourself. ;)
dstyp wrote:I apologize deeply for my mistake.
Don't sweat it! :D
It's just a thing to remember, that accurate reporting leads to the solution much faster/accurately...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dstyp

Post by dstyp »

Thanks for the reply.

Same commands issued as my user (dave) yields the same result:
dstyp wrote: ~ VBoxManage showhdinfo '/Users/dave/VirtualBox VMs/Windows 10/Windows 10.vbox'
VBoxManage: error: Could not get the storage format of the medium '/Users/dave/VirtualBox VMs/Windows 10/Windows 10.vbox' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "OpenMedium(Bstr(pszFilenameOrUuid).raw(), enmDevType, enmAccessMode, fForceNewUuidOnOpen, pMedium.asOutParam())" at line 179 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp
~
Last edited by socratis on 23. Aug 2018, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

dstyp wrote:Same commands issued as my user (dave) yields the same result:
You now need to go back and read the original reply from Socratis:
socratis wrote:You're not supposed to have a 'path to vbox', you're supposed to have a 'path to vdi'.
Try:

VBoxManage showhdinfo 'Users/dave/VirtualBox VMs/Windows 10/Windows 10.vdi'

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
dstyp

Post by dstyp »

There we go. Thanks for the patience and help!
Last edited by socratis on 23. Aug 2018, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

D'oh! I was so distracted by the "root", that I didn't even notice the .vbox at the end. Thanks Andy for catching that...

Marking as [WorksForMe].