Cannot open VM on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Sh!nt0

Cannot open VM on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Post by Sh!nt0 »

Installed 5.2.18 on macOS High Sierra and get the below error :-
The virtual machine 'Win7SP1x64-RAD95-PVH' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

Failed to hook the dlopen interface
Please try reinstalling Virtualbox
where: supR3HardenedPosixInit what: 1 VERR_SUPLIB_UNEXPECTED_INSTRUCTION (-3778) ....
I tried this on 3 different MacPro's and same issue occur. Installed a very older version v5.1.8 and it works. Tried to google and could not find any solution
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot open VM on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Post by socratis »

Sh!nt0 wrote:I tried this on 3 different MacPro's and same issue occur.
Hmm... Quite interesting. Try to start the VM. See if there's a new VBox.log created in the folder "'Win7SP1x64-RAD95-PVH/Logs". ZIP it and post it as an attachment. See the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sh!nt0

Post by Sh!nt0 »

PFA the logs
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(33.52 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.960119 ICH9 <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Any particular reason why you decided to override the template defaults, and go with an unsupported, experimental, OSX-guests-only option? Please change it back to the default PIIX3. Do not change the defaults unless you know what you're getting into.
00:00:01.960167 [/Devices/lsilogicsas/0/LUN#0/AttachedDriver/Config/] (level 6)
This modification is not as serious as the previous one, but it begs the question; why do you need to change the defaults? The defaults are chosen carefully by the developers as to minimize the chances for any potential hiccups. Messing with them purposelessly can only increase the chances of something ReallyBad™ happening to the VM.
00:00:15.334469 LsiLogic#0: 2/0 (Bus/Target) doesn't exist
00:00:15.334518 LsiLogic#0: Guest issued CDB {0xa0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x10, 0x0, 0x0}
Case in point, you have the above messages repeat more than 1000 times! I don't know what they mean to be honest, but I don't really like it.
00:03:32.560357 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
And this is where the log ends, 3 1/2 minutes after start. So, you're not actually getting an error during startup.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sh!nt0

Post by Sh!nt0 »

I changed to PIIX3 , but still has the same error. I checked now and the logs are not being generated in the logs folder.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm still a little bit confused...

Does the VM start, yes or no? If it starts, then a new VBox.log will be created in the Logs folder, check the timestamp on that. If it does, then close the VM, and then ZIP and post the log. After you've closed the VM window.

Or does the VM fail to start completely and you get the "Failed to hook the dlopen interface"? And then it aborts? With no VBox.log created?
Sh!nt0

Post by Sh!nt0 »

It does not start . PFA the screenshot
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 11.43.57.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 11.43.57.png (100.07 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, let's go with the instructions given in the dialog then. You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a test file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...
  1. Download the latest release, or the latest test build (NOT the development snapshot), if you don't already have them.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Make sure you're part of the "admin" group. If you are logged in with the primary user account/owner, you are part of the admin group.
  4. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press "Cmd+L" to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  7. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open "Console.app" and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
Sh!nt0

Post by Sh!nt0 »

PFA the logs

I get the same error , but no logs in console.app
Attachments
install_logs.txt.zip
(3.46 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sep  3 16:37:17 HWJ03323 Installer[1079]: Displaying 'Install Succeeded' UI.
Your installation seems to have worked as it should. Do you have still a problem? The same "rc=-3778" error?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sh!nt0,

This is a really rare error. So rare in fact, that you are the only one that has ever seen it!

So, the question comes down to: what have you done to your 10.13.6 installation that's not standard? Any antivirus/security software? Any low level debuggers? Xcode (which one)? Tampering with SIP? Anything else?

Talking with the developers, they asked for a copy of the "/usr/lib/libdl.dylib" from your system. Can you ZIP it and attach it?