Installation failing on MacOs 10.13.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
thomasfaller

Installation failing on MacOs 10.13.6

Post by thomasfaller »

Hey guys,

Just downloaded the installation package (latest version: 5.2.18) and tried going through the installation but I get the following message:

"The installation failed"
thomasfaller

Re: Installation failing on MacOs 10.13.6

Post by thomasfaller »

Nevermind, I found the solution:

apple stackexchange com/questions/301303/virtualbox-5-1-28-fails-to-install-on-macos-10-13-due-to-kext-security
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

There also a sticky thread right here in the forums: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908). No need to wonder around... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ag2231
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 7, Win 10, Linux (multiple flavors)

Post by ag2231 »

The problem with installing on the Mac OS 10.13.+ is due to the newly introduced 'System Integrity Protection'. The way to quickly fix this is to turn off (and preferably back on) this protection. The following will work to allow the installer to function as normal;

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/h ... s-3638975/
{Mod edit; replaced copy/paste text with the source URL of the instructions]

Good Luck
Last edited by socratis on 23. Aug 2018, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced copy/paste text with source URL.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ag2231 wrote:The way to quickly fix this is to turn off (and preferably back on) this protection.
Actually, the best way to fix this is to follow the official Apple instructions: User-Approved Kernel Extension Loading. Disabling SIP is not something to be done lightly.

I've replaced the copy/paste part of the instructions with the actual source URL. No need to duplicate the instructions when a simple URL would do... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.