Windows-10 (as Guest) Activation Trouble

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Tesla1856
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows-10 64bit

Windows-10 (as Guest) Activation Trouble

Post by Tesla1856 »

Maybe this isn't working as good as I originally thought. :)

When I boot my Windows-10 natively (via BootCamp) ... my Windows-10 shows Activated.
However, when I use VirtualBox to access this same Windows-10 install as a macOS-Guest (via RawDisk), it shows NOT-Activated (and I get an error when trying to Activate it).

Is this to be expected? Is there a known work-around or fix?
Mac-Mini (Late 2012) Intel-i5, 4gb RAM, SSD
Running macOS High-Sierra 10.13.x
BootCamp Windows-10 Pro 64bit (as a native "Option-Key" boot, directly against Apple hardware)
- Using VirtualBox v5.2.x to access this same Windows-10 install as macOS-Guest via RawDisk (sometimes, for lite uses)
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows-10 (as Guest) Activation Trouble

Post by socratis »

Tesla1856 wrote:Is this to be expected?
Yes. Windows activation is tied to the hardware. Since there's no comparison between the virtual and the physical hardware (except the CPU), activating Windows in one scenario will make the other activation invalid.
Tesla1856 wrote:Is there a known work-around or fix?
None that I know of, I've yet to find one. I have my physical Win10 activated, my virtual isn't. I'm waiting for the moment that it dies on me, then I'll call Microsoft and try to see what can be done about it.

That would be a similar problem as if you had a portable Win10, let's say on a USB hard drive, and you were running around booting different computer with it. But, since portable Windows is not supported (AFAIK) I'm not sure how this is resolved.

That's definitely a question for Microsoft. If anyone finds out the solution, I'd appreciate the feedback (on a personal level).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tesla1856
Guest OSses: Windows-10 64bit

Re: Windows-10 (as Guest) Activation Trouble

Post by Tesla1856 »

Thanks. So then, I'll stop trying to fix it for now. I've never run Windows-10 un-Activated before, so I had to search for what happens.

It seems, not much, except:
1. Can not install Windows Updates
2. Can not Personalize wallpaper and the like
3. Maybe a water-mark is displayed on Desktop

So, we do #1 and #2 when natively booted. #3 finally appeared (but it's hardly a problem in general use).

I guess they don't really care (at this moment) so we have a bit of a reprieve. :)
Mac-Mini (Late 2012) Intel-i5, 4gb RAM, SSD
Running macOS High-Sierra 10.13.x
BootCamp Windows-10 Pro 64bit (as a native "Option-Key" boot, directly against Apple hardware)
- Using VirtualBox v5.2.x to access this same Windows-10 install as macOS-Guest via RawDisk (sometimes, for lite uses)