Transfer Machines to other Mac

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Morris

Transfer Machines to other Mac

Post by Morris »

Hi there,

I want to transfer all the machines to another Mac.

I copied the whole VM-Folder and tried to mount the image on the other Mac (New Machine, existing VDI).
But it doesn't work. The Failure-message was something like "wrong Kernel driver/version".

I also tried to use "Appliance export" and import on the other Computer. But there was a Checksum-Error.

So... how does the transfer works?
And I would like to avoid new Windows-activation.

Thank you!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Transfer Machines to other Mac

Post by socratis »

Morris wrote:So... how does the transfer works?
See the FAQ: "Moving a VM". You basically do what you did, but then you use the menu "Machine" » "Add..." and you point to the VM's '.vbox' file. Or you double-click on the '.vbox' file...
Morris wrote:And I would like to avoid new Windows-activation.
That depends on Windows and it's "detection" policies. Since you're just going to be changing the CPU (I guess they're different between the two Macs), then I do not expect that Windows will complain too much. For more information, read the thread "Which changes trigger reactivation in a Windows guest?".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.