[Invalid] Cannot register VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
GeoffatmMM
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

[Invalid] Cannot register VM

Post by GeoffatmMM »

Mod edit; Post split from the thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=88916
UPDATE

I removed everything, ran uninstaller and rebooted.

This time I had system preferences open alongside the VBox mounted files.

As soon as I clicked on the .pkg file, the request to allow Oracle came up in my system preferences security setting. I clicked Allow and this time the software installed fine.

However, the existing files were still not found and when I tried to register I got this output:
MacBook-Pro:VT Data Current from Vbox gjj$ vboxmanage registervm /Users/gjj/Downloads/BFW-UK.vtr
VBoxManage: error: Start tag expected, '<' not found.
VBoxManage: error: Location: '/Users/gjj/Downloads/BFW-UK.vtr', line 1 (0), column 1.
VBoxManage: error: /Users/vbox/tinderbox/5.2-mac-rel/src/VBox/Main/src-server/MachineImpl.cpp[479] (nsresult Machine::initFromSettings(VirtualBox *, const com::Utf8Str &, const com::Guid *))
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "OpenMachine(Bstr(a->argv[0]).raw(), machine.asOutParam())" at line 87 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp
MacBook-Pro:VT Data Current from Vbox gjj$
Any ideas?

Geoff

PS. I re-read the instructions for the command and wondered if the filename should be enclosed thus <filename> so tried and got this output:
MacBook-Pro:VT Data Current from Vbox gjj$ vboxmanage registervm 
Usage:

VBoxManage registervm       <filename>

MacBook-Pro:VT Data Current from Vbox gjj$ vboxmanage registervm </Users/gjj/Downloads/BFW-UK.vtr>
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
MacBook-Pro:VT Data Current from Vbox gjj$
Last edited by socratis on 7. Aug 2018, 16:05, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot register VM

Post by socratis »

I split your post from Installation of VB 5.2.16 on OS-X High Seirra 10.13.6 Fails since your new problem has nothing to do with the installation.
GeoffatmMM wrote:
vboxmanage registervm /Users/gjj/Downloads/BFW-UK.vtr
What's a ".vtr" file? Why is the extension not ".vbox"?
GeoffatmMM wrote:
VBoxManage: error: Start tag expected, '<' not found.
Your ... whatever this thing is, is not a valid XML file. Can you ZIP and attach the file here? Provided it's not 0-bytes.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GeoffatmMM

Post by GeoffatmMM »

Ay Caramba!

Sorry to waste your time Socratis. .vtr is the extension for my finance files so it is not surprising that VBox could not import them!

Sadly, for some reason that I need to get to the bottom of, I cannot find any of my .vbox files that I thought had been backed up. They are currently stuck on a SSD on my iMac that refuses to start so until that is resolved, I cannot progress this. I will post again if I still need help but thanks for your response.
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

GeoffatmMM wrote:stuck on a SSD on my iMac that refuses to start
Not a VirtualBox issue, but not even in Target mode? See https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25318

I'm going to mark the thread as [Invalid], because this is not a VirtualBox issue...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GeoffatmMM

Re: [Invalid] Cannot register VM

Post by GeoffatmMM »

Target Mode does not help as the machine cannot see the SSD at the moment. It was moved and I suspect (hope) it is a loose cable but cannot open it until I return home end August.

I agree that this post should be marked invalid or even deleted completely. Thanks again.

Geoff