Bridged Adapter not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
tca47

Bridged Adapter not working

Post by tca47 »

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro that I'm using as the host, and Windows 10 Pro as the guest. I'm trying to get the bridged adapter to work using wifi and it's not working. I've attached a screenshot of the settings. I was able to do this for 8 years on my 2011 MacBook with windows 7 and I never had an issue. I've been trying to solve this for 2 days. I've tried the development build, but it did not help. I really appreciate any help to get this going. I'm losing sleep! Thank you.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 10.23.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 10.23.29 AM.png (47.39 KiB) Viewed 27385 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bridged Adapter not working

Post by socratis »

Bridged over wireless don't always play nice. Bridged networking is outside the WLAN specification. Bridging to wireless is not really bridging. The guest shares the MAC of the host and the host does a sort of MAC-NAT translation based on IP addresses. Promiscuous mode doesn't exist in the official WLAN specifications. It may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience. For example, it works fine in my home, but not in my office. Same laptop, same VM. Try to see if it works either with Bridged over Ethernet, or with NAT.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tca47

Post by tca47 »

I knew you were going to say that! Thanks for responding though. The bottom line is I need to be able to access the local network from the vm. If I have to do it with a wired connection it's not the end of the world, but, after 8 years of it working on my old Mac, it will be a bit of a disappointment.

Is there any other way to work with nat and have the ability to access the local network?

And, I need to access the internet and the local network.

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You could use NAT. With the NAT mode you are on a different subnet (10.0.2.x), but you can access the network that the host is in (example 192.168.x.x). And the Internet. The only thing is that the LAN computer won't be readily be able to access the VM without setting up some port forwarding.

But if you choose the Bridged-over-Ethernet, that would definitely be simpler.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tca47

Post by tca47 »

I am not able to access the lan on the vm when connected via nat. How are you doing it? It's giving me a 10.0.2.x address, and the lan is 192.168.7.x. When I try to ping anything in 192 is fails.

By the way, I just picked up an adapter and I can now connect via bridged ethernet.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

For the NAT: I don't do anything special. Even booting a VM from a Live DVD while on NAT gives me a 10.0.2.15/24 with a 10.0.2.2 gateway. That's what it's supposed to give me in any event. It also takes the DNS entry (10.0.0.1) from my host (10.0.0.104). I have another PC on the LAN (10.0.0.109) and from within the guest I can ping both my host and the 2nd PC.

For the Bridged: Glad that it's working. You can ping the rest of the LAN? The one that you can't with NAT?
israel-kmacho

Post by israel-kmacho »

As strange and unusual as it may seem, it is true.. a set of configuration between software (OS, drivers) and hardware (Network adapters, routers, etc.) makes this to play nasty; however I wondering if there is way to fix something at software layers... before update my macOS to Monterrey version, the Bridged Adapter option was working fine... definitely something changed at OS level, maybe within the driver, also this works fine if I use the ethernet cable with in the docking station, and in a Windows Host (different laptop)...

Hope someone can point us out to the right path so we might be able to solve this.
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

maOS Montery tightened up the specs on the WiFi driver with the unfortunate result that VirtualBox Bridged networking over a wi-fi adaptor is no longer functional.

This has been discussed previously in these forums and the only solution is to use an ethernet adaptor if you need a bridged network. See topic: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104698&p=510686&hilit=wifi#p510686
Myraged

Post by Myraged »

Here are some things that worked when i was having this issue:
  • Reboot your router
  • Try reverting to an older version of VirtualBox and reinstall the newer version