[Solved] Failed to open a session for the virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
merlinni

[Solved] Failed to open a session for the virtual machine

Post by merlinni »

@socratis
Thanks very much that got rid of the first 2 error messages I was seeing. However, now when VirtualBox tries to restore my session it gets almost all the way to the end (of the blue progress bar) and then shows the error below. What shall I do now? :?

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows Pro 8.1 dynamic.

Unsupported version 6 of data unit 'hda' (instance #0, pass 0xffffffff) (VERR_SSM_UNSUPPORTED_DATA_UNIT_VERSION).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Last edited by socratis on 31. Jul 2018, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine

Post by socratis »

I split your message from the thread "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)". You can't keep on discussing all of your problems in the same thread. It would end up a huge pile of incoherent messages that bear no match to the thread's title.

The message says that you cannot restore your saved state. You have two options:
  1. Downgrade VirtualBox to the version that you saved the VM state. Do you remember which one it was? Then you restore the VM and shut it down. You can then re-upgrade VirtualBox to its current version.
  2. Press the "Discard" state button. You will lose whatever was in memory at the time you saved the VM state. Similar to losing power to your desktop (with no UPS).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
merlinni

Post by merlinni »

Thanks for splitting my message. :)
If I press 'discard saved state' (under Machine at the top menu right? Command-j?) I won't have to re-create my Virtual Machine? Please confirm, thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I thought that I made it clear that the only thing you're going to lose is whatever you had in-memory at the time you saved the VM state. But to confirm, no, you won't lose your VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
merlinni

Post by merlinni »

That worked! Wanted to make sure I was selecting the correct button as well. Thanks for walking me through this. :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You're welcome. Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].