Installation of VB 5.2.16 on OS-X High Seirra 10.13.6 Fails

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
littleghost

Installation of VB 5.2.16 on OS-X High Seirra 10.13.6 Fails

Post by littleghost »

I'm attempting to install VirtualBox-5.2.16 on OS-X High Seirra 10.13.6 without success.
Following the steps to allow the installation that I found in the forums did not work. The steps are as follows:

1) Open dmg, run Uninstall.
2) Reboot.
3) Mount DMG
4) Open Security & Privacy
5) Unlock to allow changes. Click Allow
6) Run installation.

As others have said VirtualBox can be opened but I get "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)" when trying to run a vm. I've even since ran sudo spctl --master-disable to allow for unknown apps to be installed to no avail.

I'm attaching the installation log and system profile.
Attachments
Installer Log 30-Jul-2018.txt
Installer log
(16.95 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
system_profiler.txt.gz
system profiler
(9.16 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installation of VB 5.2.16 on OS-X High Seirra 10.13.6 Fails

Post by socratis »

From your installer log, this is what fails:
Jul 30 12:53:50 MacBook-Pro installd[1809]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error
	Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from
	the package “VirtualBox.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postflight,
	NSURL=file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg,
	PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts, NSLocalizedDescription=An
	error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”.} {
What modifications have you done to your system? And please try to think hard. When the script fails it can be due to a variety of reasons, but it doesn't fail on an unmodified system. Do you have anything like HomeBrew or MacPorts installed? Any custom Python? Anything else?
littleghost wrote:VirtualBox can be opened but I get "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)" when trying to run a vm.
Because the script failed to install the kext.
littleghost wrote:I've even since ran sudo spctl --master-disable to allow for unknown apps to be installed to no avail.
No need to.

Run the installer again and when it fails, immediately look at the output of the command:
  • dmesg
Let me know what you see...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rchaud

Post by rchaud »

Having the same problem. I run the install and enter passwords when requested. I go to Security and privacy settings to Allow Oracle to install blah blah blah. I click on padlock icon, enter password and and finish installation but it says installation failed.

When i look at my applications directory it shows Virtual Box there but if i create a VM and launch it i get an error

Below is the installation logs

Code: Select all

Aug 11 15:12:00 magnet21 installd[708]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
Aug 11 15:12:03 magnet21 installd[708]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postflight, NSURL=file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”.} {
	    NSFilePath = "./postflight";
	    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cVirtualBox.pkg\U201d.";
	    NSURL = "file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg";
	    PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts";
	}
Aug 11 15:12:04 magnet21 Installer[1449]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Aug 11 15:12:04 magnet21 Installer[1449]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Aug 11 15:12:04 magnet21 Installer[1449]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

rchaud wrote:Below is the installation logs
Please include the whole log, not the parts that you think are relevant. ZIP it first.
  1. Once you start the installer package, press Cmd-L to show the installer log window.
  2. Choose to "Show All Logs" from the detail level drop-down list.
  3. Before you finalize the installation, due to error or not, click "Save" on the installer log window.
  4. ZIP it and attach it to your reply.
  5. Post the output of the command (from /Applications/Utilities/Terminal):
    • 
      ls -lae@ \
        / \
        /Applications \
        /Applications/VirtualBox.app \
        /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxRT.dylib \
        /private \
        /private/etc \
        /private/etc/sudoers \
        /private/tmp

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tesla1856
Guest OSses: Windows-10 64bit

Post by Tesla1856 »

littleghost wrote:I'm attempting to install VirtualBox-5.2.16 on OS-X High Seirra 10.13.6 without success.
I upgraded mine (a couple of days ago) from v5.1.x and it worked fine on latest High-Sierra (v10.13.6).

I was impressed to see an actual Installer. Maybe it asked for Admin password, but I'm positive I didn't have to unlock anything in Sys-Prefs.

I wanted to be sure to keep my VM-Profiles, so I didn't use it, but I also noticed the Uninstaller. That should help users looking to do a clean-install. BTW, have you tried that?
Mac-Mini (Late 2012) Intel-i5, 4gb RAM, SSD
Running macOS High-Sierra 10.13.x
BootCamp Windows-10 Pro 64bit (as a native "Option-Key" boot, directly against Apple hardware)
- Using VirtualBox v5.2.x to access this same Windows-10 install as macOS-Guest via RawDisk (sometimes, for lite uses)