Linux guest becomes uncontactable over HTTP after several minutes of idling

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
lukeify

Linux guest becomes uncontactable over HTTP after several minutes of idling

Post by lukeify »

Hi there,

I'm running a vagrant box, laravel/homestead 6.1.0 on Virtualbox 5.2.16 on macOS 10.13.6 on a recently purchased machine. This is a standard installation of the Laravel Homestead development environment. I am able to successfully provision, boot, and then run the box for several minutes, where it acts as a development server, and I can contact it over h ttp with no problems for several minutes. However, eventually, the box begins returning no response through either curl, a web browser, or an h ttp request agent no matter what I do—it simply times out. I am still able to ssh into the guest at any point and verify my application & nginx is working, yet nginx shows no errors or access logs, as if it isn't even receiving the requests. The only way to get it working again is to trash the guest and start over, during which the cycle repeats.

I additionally have had this issue on another host with the exact same configuration. Where do I begin to start diagnosing why this is happening? What should I be trying here?

Apologies for writing "h ttp". I otherwise can't post this message because "You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls." (how dumb).

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Linux guest becomes uncontactable over HTTP after several minutes of idling

Post by socratis »

What's supported in these forums are clean VirtualBox installations. Vagrant is a program that relies on VirtualBox but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own Vagrant support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox, then we can continue this discussion.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.