failed to save host network interface

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
DPowell

failed to save host network interface

Post by DPowell »

My problem is I’m not able to set an ethernet adaptor in the host network manager. When I select "configure automatically" and apply, I get a “failed to save host network interface” error.
Callee RC:
NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (0x80004001)
I have the latest version of VB as of 7/25/18.

I'm using Mac OS High Sierra
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: failed to save host network interface

Post by socratis »

For future references you should post the exact version, for both VirtualBox and OSX. Can you describe the exact steps?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SteveCK

Post by SteveCK »

A bit late with this but I can describe problem.
mac 10.13.6 high Sierra
vbox 5.2.6 r120293
In vbox manager go to global tools - host network manager
select vboxnet1 and properties. Click 'configure adapter automatically' radio button and apply.
Same error as DPowell gets, both the msg box and the RC code.
Confirmed that dhcp enabled and the dhcp server config was valid.
The interface works fine when 'configure adapter manually' is set.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SteveCK wrote:vbox 5.2.6 r120293
That's a relatively old version. Can you uninstall that and install the latest and greatest? That would be 5.2.18 as of this writing.

Having said that, I was able to reproduce the report with 5.2.6, 5.2.18, the test 5.2.x build 5.2.19 r125384, as well as the 5.2.97 r125396 development snapshot.
Failed to save host network interface parameter.
Callee RC: NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (0x80004001)
"Not implemented" is not that grave of an error, it simply means that they haven't gotten around to implementing the necessary action (I guess).

I tried the same action on a Win10-1607, 64-bit (10.0.14393), and on a Ubuntu 16.04, 32-bit (4.4.0-87-generic). On Windows, that "Configure Adapter Automatically" works. On the Ubuntu one, it failed with the same error as in OSX.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Reinderien
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by Reinderien »

I have the exact same problem with VBox 5.2.22 r126460.
"Not implemented" is not that grave of an error
Uh? Grave enough that it renders VirtualBox useless for my purposes.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Reinderien
I believe you already have your own thread dealing with the issue, no? Let's stick there...
VM testing 463

Post by VM testing 463 »

I have the same problem, I am trying to figure out how to get my vm to connect to file shares on my network, and tried the host adaptor option. but when I set DHCP to automatic, it comes up with the error. I am running Ubuntu 18.04 with virualbox 6.0.10
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VM testing 463 wrote:when I set DHCP to automatic, it comes up with the error
What error? The same error? Other?
VM testing 463 wrote:I am running Ubuntu 18.04 with virualbox 6.0.10
I take it that this is your Host you're referring to, and that the Guest doesn't matter?
VM testing 463 wrote:I am trying to figure out how to get my vm to connect to file shares on my network, and tried the host adaptor option
What's the network configuration of the Host (ifconfig -a), what's your Guest, and what is the Guest's configuration.
Hasan98

Post by Hasan98 »

socratis wrote:
VM testing 463 wrote:when I set DHCP to automatic, it comes up with the error
What error? The same error? Other?
VM testing 463 wrote:I am running Ubuntu 18.04 with virualbox 6.0.10
I take it that this is your Host you're referring to, and that the Guest doesn't matter?
VM testing 463 wrote:I am trying to figure out how to get my vm to connect to file shares on my network, and tried the host adaptor option
What's the network configuration of the Host (ifconfig -a), what's your Guest, and what is the Guest's configuration.
Config of the adapter is attached :
Attachments
Adapter Config
Adapter Config
screen_shot_2021_04__oTNyk.jpg (43.83 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
DHCP_Config
DHCP_Config
screen_shot_2021_04__YG34R.jpg (45.01 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
Error
Error
screen_shot_2021_04__qdjrC.jpg (38.55 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@Hasan: please start your own topic, do not hijack someone else's from years ago. Describe the problem and provide a zipped VM log, if you have ever managed to run the VM (the log answers a lot of questions about your setup). Also please reduce your images to 50% as we really don't need to see dialog boxes in 4K, that would also allow you to use png instead of jpeg.