[Resolved] Cloned and enlarged disk inaccessib

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
DonVetOne

[Resolved] Cloned and enlarged disk inaccessib

Post by DonVetOne »

Good day all
I have followed the instructions to enlarge a fixed disk by first cloning with the following command - VBoxManage clonehd '/Users/macbookpro/VirtualBox VMs/Windows XP_/Windows XP_.vdi' '/Users/macbookpro/VirtualBox VMs/Windows XP_/Windows XP' --format VDI --variant Standard

0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%
Clone medium created in format 'VDI'. UUID: bd4d6473-6c87-4c5a-88e9-52b379e3fe1d

and then back to first message and then using the following command - VBoxManage modifyhd '/Users/macbookpro/VirtualBox VMs/Windows XP_/Windows XP' --resize 40960 which seemed to work ok. The infile name was Windows XP_.vdi for some reason and the outfield Windows XP....... no VDI extension. Trying to create a new VM I get to this hiccup - see pic.

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-07-25 17.17.41.png
Screenshot 2018-07-25 17.17.41.png (98.59 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
Last edited by socratis on 27. Jul 2018, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cloned and enlarged disk inaccessib

Post by mpack »

"For some reason"? The output filename has no ".vdi" extension because you didn't specify one in the clonehd command. I believe the file will need to be renamed to have a ".vdi" extension, lets see where we are once you've done that. You should unregister the media before renaming it.
DonVetOne

Post by DonVetOne »

Thanks, not sure what you mean by 'unregister media'.... I did rename it and the file no longer says inaccessible when I try to add it to a VM. Is there something else I need to do? Also I would like to keep the .VDI file in a Windows XP folder (no underscore after that) - how do I make sure that happens. I have made a folder Windows XP which is not liked by VirtualBox - gives a warning that the folder already exists (the .VDI file I have copied to another folder 'WIndows XP New"...
DonVetOne

Post by DonVetOne »

okay - I have managed to enlarge the disk and it runs OK.... only thing in the GUI the entry on the left shows a red dot and indicates that the VM was ABORTED - however the VM shutdown normally...?
DonVetOne

Re: Cloned and enlarged disk inaccessible

Post by DonVetOne »

Okay... so that has resolved as well. Not sure why... but hey all good so far.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.