restoring guest files from time machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
retiredafrican

restoring guest files from time machine

Post by retiredafrican »

I have windows 10 guest on High Sierra running for a while then it was corrupted. how do I transfer my files to a new installation of windows using the time machine backup. I can see all folders in time machine. do I just copy them or restore them and to where. thx
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: restoring guest files from time machine

Post by mpack »

I do not own an OS X host so I can't answer support questions for "Time Machine". However general backup and restore procedures can be found here: Howto: Move a VM (backing up and restoring are just special cases of moving a VM).
retiredafrican

Post by retiredafrican »

thanks for the info. I am new to this, so please help me out. do I copy and replace the restored .vdi and .vbox files to the directory of the new guest? the referenced post talked about renaming the guest which is not clear.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Do not think in terms of individual .vdi and .vbox files. The entire VM folder should be considered as "the VM".

The details of how to do a restore depend on the extent of the corruption. If you still have VMs registered then you can simply overwrite the corrupted VM folder with the backup copy. If the VM was not still registered then you need to add a registration step as detailed in the FAQ. If there is no corrupted VM to overwrite then copy the backup VM into the "VirtualBox VMs" folder on your host, then register the VM.