USB 2.0 in Win7 on OsX Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
zen4ttitude

USB 2.0 in Win7 on OsX Host

Post by zen4ttitude »

Hello,
I'm attempting to enable USB 2.0 under Windows 7 on macOS High Sierra (10.13.5). I have installed the latest Guest Additions (5.2.14). Here is the error I get upon launching VBox after setting the option for USB 2.0 in Machine Configuration Ports USB:
Échec de l'ouverture de session pour la machine virtuelle Grosse Bertha.

Implementation of the USB 2.0 controller not found!

Because the USB 2.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state, the VM cannot be started. To fix this problem, either install the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' or disable USB 2.0 support in the VM settings.

Note! This error could also mean that an incompatible version of the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' is installed (VERR_NOT_FOUND).

Code d'erreur : NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Composant : ConsoleWrap
Interface : IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Help is welcome.

as a side note, would it be possible to install Guest Additions from the interface of the Virtual Box manager Preferences Extensions?
Last edited by socratis on 10. Jul 2018, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: USB 2.0 in Win7 on OsX Host

Post by michaln »

It appears you're mixing up the Guest Additions and Extension Pack. To get USB 2.0 (or 3.0) functionality, you need to install the Extension Pack for your VirtualBox version on the host. The Guest Additions are installed inside a VM and don't have anything to do with USB.
zen4ttitude

Re: USB 2.0 in Win7 on OsX Host

Post by zen4ttitude »

Thank you and yes indeed...