[Solved] Vbox stopped working, The application can't be opened

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
darthpeep

[Solved] Vbox stopped working, The application can't be opened

Post by darthpeep »

Prior to a few days ago, VBox was humming along just fine. I started to get some sort of permission error (something or other not owned by root). I tried some of the fixes I found on this board and stackoverflow to no avail, so I proceeded to do a full uninstall and reinstall. I followed the steps that appear on most of these posts (reboot, uninstall, reboot, install, etc). But after several attempts, and just getting "The application VirtualBox can't be opened". It is no longer accompanied by another error popup. If I run VirtualBox from the terminal, I get the following:

Code: Select all

VirtualBox: Error -610 in supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime!
VirtualBox: dlopen("/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxRT.dylib",) failed: <NULL>

VirtualBox: Tip! It may help to reinstall VirtualBox.
I see no relevant console logs (there was an fsck which appears to have complete successfully). The latest install logs are attached. Thanks in advance for any help.
This is virtualbox 5.2.14, High Sierra 10.13.3
Attachments
Installer Log 2-Jul-2018.txt
(33.11 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by socratis on 3. Jul 2018, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Vbox stopped working, The application can't be opened

Post by socratis »

The permissions are wrong in your system. What's the output of:
  • 
    ls -ald /* ; ls -ald /Applications/*
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
darthpeep

Post by darthpeep »

Truncated slightly:

drwxrwxr-x+ 65 my.name  SECIOUS\Domain Users    2210 Jul  2 16:05 /Applications
drwxr-xr-x+ 65 root              wheel                   2210 Mar 27 14:46 /Library
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root              wheel                    102 Jul  2 15:51 /Network
drwxr-xr-x@  4 root              wheel                    136 Jan 19 00:34 /System

drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel                 102 Jul  2 16:05 /Applications/VirtualBox.app
Although, I did chown /Applications/VirtualBox.app (not recursively because I was tentative) to myself at one point, and it didn't work
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

darthpeep wrote:
drwxrwxr-x+ 65 my.name  SECIOUS\Domain Users    2210 Jul  2 16:05 /Applications
This is definitely wrong. Fix it. And please do NOT truncate anything in the future, or I'm going to truncate my answer, if you know what I mean... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
darthpeep

Post by darthpeep »

NM, I just did root. Still don't know what I did to change it, but that worked. Original problem was probably /Applications changing ownership, and I was focused on /Applications/VirtualBox. Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

darthpeep wrote:problem was probably /Applications changing ownership, and I was focused on /Applications/VirtualBox.
The VirtualBox installer correctly sets the owner:group and its permissions. But it won't take the "liberty" of fixing everything that it checks for. Glad you got it going, marking as [Solved].