[Resolved] No access to shared folders after Windows10 update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ukr

[Resolved] No access to shared folders after Windows10 update

Post by ukr »

I run VirtualBox on an iMac 2017 to host Windows 10 with 3 shared folders. Yesterday, after a Windows-10 update to version 1803 shared folder are no longer accessible.
I tried to reinstall Vbox extensions, removed shared folder from the VM's configuration and reconfigured them newly, restarted the VM as well as VirtualBox several times, but no effect. Shared folder cannot be accessed.

Any help is welcome.
Thanks Ulrich
Last edited by socratis on 3. Jul 2018, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: No access to shared folders after Windows10 update

Post by andyp73 »

ukr wrote:I tried to reinstall Vbox extensions
You need to be careful of terminology as there are two distinct items that you don't want to get confused...

1. The Extension Pack (ExtPack) which gets installed onto the host to give USB 2.0/3.0, RDP, Intel PXE boot, etc.

2. The Guest Additions (GA) that, as its name suggests, gets installed into the guest to give mouse/keyboard integration, shared folders, etc.

Can you confirm that you re-installed the guest additions into the Windows 10 guest after it updated to v1803?

If you have, and it still isn't working then we will need to see the VBox.log file from the guest in question. Boot the guest, make sure the problem occurs then shut the guest down (by force if necessary). zip the log file and post it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
ukr

Post by ukr »

Thanks for the hint, reinstalled the extension pack only. I will install GuestAddition and see, what happens.
ukr

Post by ukr »

It seems, that the W10 update removed the GuestAdditions, a feature i experienced only with logical printers. After reinstalling GA, everything works as expected.

Thanks again
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jjfn

Re: [Resolved] No access to shared folders after Windows10 update

Post by jjfn »

Similar problem! i´m using a Macbook with Sierra 10.13 (host) and a Windows 10 (guest). After update of Windows my shared folders has gone. When i´m tryng execute VboxWindowsAddition.exe on D:\ (Virtual Box Guest Addition CD) i´m getting a message of permission denied. Any sugestions?
jjfn

Post by jjfn »

ukr wrote:It seems, that the W10 update removed the GuestAdditions, a feature i experienced only with logical printers. After reinstalling GA, everything works as expected.

Thanks again
How do you reinstall?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Resolved] No access to shared folders after Windows10 update

Post by socratis »

jjfn wrote:When i´m tryng execute VboxWindowsAddition.exe on D:\ (Virtual Box Guest Addition CD) i´m getting a message of permission denied.
Either you're not an admin in your guest, or there's something really going on within your guest. No other logical explanation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.