VirtualBox not starting on Mac 10.11.6 (15G1212)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
pasquale

VirtualBox not starting on Mac 10.11.6 (15G1212)

Post by pasquale »

Hi,
yesterday my VirtualBox 5.1.22 stopped working crashing immediately after launch.
I tried uninstall/install several times using VirtualBox tools, renamed Vm's folder and Library folder, downgraded to 5.1.20 and upgraded to 5.2.12 but I always get the same error. (attached full crash report).

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000110
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attachments
VirtualBox_2018-06-30-084455.log
(41.34 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox not starting on Mac 10.11.6 (15G1212)

Post by socratis »

pasquale wrote:yesterday my VirtualBox 5.1.22 stopped working crashing immediately after launch.
So, what happened yesterday?

You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a test file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...
  1. Download the latest release, or the latest test build (NOT the development snapshot), if you don't already have them.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Make sure you're part of the "admin" group. If you are logged in with the primary user account/owner, you are part of the admin group.
  4. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press "Cmd+L" to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  7. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open "Console.app" and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pasquale

Post by pasquale »

Yesterday I installed Websense software for DLP and I changed my hardrive name.

It failed again, I attach the logs you required. No error in LibraryLog, only a crash report.
Noticed that the Vm and Library folder that I renamed have not been recreated yet.

Regards
Attachments
Archive.zip
(16.78 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

pasquale wrote:Yesterday I installed Websense software for DLP and I changed my hardrive name.
Hhmm, i would be inclined to uninstall and reinstall VBox
pasquale

Post by pasquale »

ChipMcK wrote:Hhmm, i would be inclined to uninstall and reinstall VBox
I uninstalled and reinstalled VirtualBox at least 5-6 times.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I took a look at your installer log, and it looks fine. I happen to be on 10.11.6 as well, so there's got to be something different in your setup that causes this. Let's start with the basics, by posting the output of the command:
  • kextstat | grep -v com.apple
Then, can you think of system-wide modifying software that you have installed? Mainly software that has kernel extensions installed, comes in a pkg format and asks for the admin password. For example I have OSXFUSE and XQuartz, that are both modifying the system at a low level, but do not conflict with anything else.

Websense could be that software, fits the bill...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pasquale

Post by pasquale »

Hi,
I attached the output of the command.
Yes, websense endpoint is my candidate too. That was the main changes before virtualBox stopped working.

Thanks
Pasquale
Attachments
command.txt
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 23 times