Slow, freezing ubuntu vm on MacBook Pro 2017

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
yontan

Slow, freezing ubuntu vm on MacBook Pro 2017

Post by yontan »

Hello!
I recently installed the latest version of virtual machine (Version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.3)), and created a new ubuntu virtual machine on it, the latest version of it.

The VM is extremely slow, and freezes on the most simple task (as opening the settings app on ubuntu).
What did I do wrong? :(

Thank you!
Attachments
Ubuntu-2018-06-20-19-17-33.log.zip
(26.2 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Slow, freezing ubuntu vm on MacBook Pro 2017

Post by socratis »

I don't see anything strikingly wrong in your VM setup, except the fact that you're going directly into full screen, I tend to keep my VMs windowed. But, in your guest you have indeed a "problem", and that's the Guest Additions (GAs):
00:00:16.832929 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.8 r120774 '5.2.8_KernelUbuntu'
You didn't mention what Ubuntu version you're testing, but my money would be on 18.04, it's the first one that comes with the kernel GAs bundled. That's OK for basic graphics support, but nothing more than that. You need to install the GAs that come with your VirtualBox.

While your VM is not in full-screen, go to the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image..." and follow the prompts. See if that improves the situation.

A "risky" suggestion would be to increase your CPUs to 2, but since you only have 2 cores in your Mac, you may run into other problems; CPU congestion, host starvation, etc. Try the new GAs first...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.