Import .ova from a Win7 host has an error.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
penright

Import .ova from a Win7 host has an error.

Post by penright »

As the subject suggest I am trying to move a VM from a Win7 host running Version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.2). I was looking on the mac for where to get the exact version but did not find it. I am more of a windows guy than mac, sorry. :D

The mac is running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Here is the details about the mac

Code: Select all

Model Name:	MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:	MacBookPro7,1
  Processor Name:	Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:	2.4 GHz
  Number of Processors:	1
  Total Number of Cores:	2
  L2 Cache:	3 MB
  Memory:	4 GB
  Bus Speed:	1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:	MBP71.003D.B00
  SMC Version (system):	1.62f7
Here is the error code when I try and import it.

Code: Select all

Failed to import appliance /Users/paulenright/Desktop/Python Dev.ova.
Could not create the imported medium '/Users/paulenright/VirtualBox VMs/Python Dev/Python Dev-disk001.vmdk'.
VMDK: Compressed image is corrupted '/Python Dev-disk001.vmdk' (VERR_ZIP_CORRUPTED).

Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component: ApplianceWrap
Interface: IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Import .ova from a Win7 host has an error.

Post by socratis »

I think that the error is more than clear. Your VMDK (a form of virtual hard disk file) is corrupt. Did you use a FAT32 stick/HD/medium to transfer the OVA?

A better way, since both hosts are dealing with VirtualBox, would be to not use the Export/Import feature, but to simply copy the whole VM folder. See the FAQ "Moving a VM" and interpret it as "Backing up a VM" or "Copying a VM".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
penright

Post by penright »

socratis wrote:I think that the error is more than clear.
I hear you, just was not sure how it happen. I was afraid the answer may come back as, "Oh ... you can't move a MS window file to a mac."
socratis wrote:Did you use a FAT32 stick/HD/medium to transfer the OVA?
No. I moved it to google drive then pulled it down. I was trying to do it remotely.

socratis wrote:A better way, since both hosts are dealing with VirtualBox, would be to not use the Export/Import feature, but to simply copy the whole VM folder. See the FAQ "Moving a VM" and interpret it as "Backing up a VM" or "Copying a VM".
That is good to know for two reasons. 1. It is as I expect, a VM is a VM. 2. I will look at the link and try it that way.
We have VMware at work, in reference to my VM is a VM, I would expect I could even move the .vmdk to it if I wanted to.

Right now I am trying to get a Linux dev environment move to the mac, which is at home.
Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

penright wrote:I was afraid the answer may come back as, "Oh ... you can't move a MS window file to a mac."
Oh... you most certainly can! In fact I don't "move" them at all (if needed), I just connect the two with a 1 Gbit cable and I'm running one from the other! ;)

The only thing that's not portable is the location of the Shared Folders, due to "/" and "\" issues...
penright wrote:We have VMware at work, in reference to my VM is a VM, I would expect I could even move the .vmdk to it if I wanted to.
But a VMDK is not a VM, it's the virtual hard drive part, only. A VM consists of one or more virtual hard drives (VMDKs by default in VMWare, VDIs by default in VirtualBox), plus a recipe; how much RAM/VRAM/CPUs, which hard drives, etc. In VirtualBox that's the ".vbox" file. I don't really know what's that in VMWare, but I believe it's the ".vmx" file(?).

An OVA is simply the recipes combined with the VMDKs, and tar'ed. Or gzip'ed. Or both, can't remember...
 Edit: It's "tar"ed after all... 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
penright

Post by penright »

After reading the link, I started questioning myself if I shut down the VM before I exported. Not sure if it should make a difference or not, but for my own curiosity, I wanted to try/test it again. This time I shut down the VM made the export and all went well. Thank again for all the time.