Mac Guests wont sync date/time unless 'unlocked' in system preferences

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
VivaLaRobo

Mac Guests wont sync date/time unless 'unlocked' in system preferences

Post by VivaLaRobo »

I have a Mac Guest running on a Mac Host with a snapshot saved.

When I restart the Guest and boot from the snapshot, it shows the date as being a few days ago from when the snapshot was created. In System Preferences/Date & Time I have "Set date and time automatically" checked, however the date still shows the date from a few days ago.

Once I click the lock symbol and 'unlock' the Date & Time settings, the date THEN jumps to the correct date. This is a problem as we have builds running on this guest that need to always have the correct date & time without having someone manually login and unlock the settings page.

Basically the Date & Time on my OSX Guest does not sync until I unlock the settings page. Why doesn't the date auto sync when the VM is booted up and I have 'set date and time automatically' checked.

Please let me know if I need to clarify more on what's happening. Any help is appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mac Guests wont sync date/time unless 'unlocked' in system preferences

Post by socratis »

1. The time setting is an OSX behavior, not a VirtualBox one.
  2. The snapshot you took when the VM was running, right? Not when it was shut down completely. Try with the VM shutdown.
  3. All my OSX VMs have at least one snapshot. They boot just fine with the Date/Time properly set.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VivaLaRobo

Re: Mac Guests wont sync date/time unless 'unlocked' in system preferences

Post by VivaLaRobo »

Thanks for the reply, I will try taking snapshots with the VM totally shut down and see if that fixes this.