Newbie on what to give to Windows

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ACW342

Newbie on what to give to Windows

Post by ACW342 »

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 48 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, 2.12 TB Fusion Drive. 8TB external HDD partitioned 3 ways for Time Machine and two different storage drives. As a newcomer to VB and having read earlier topics on what to give the guest VM in the way of resources I thought that it would be a good idea to get the advice of seasoned users. I am a light user except when flying X Plane, and plan on giving 1or 2 cores and 10 GB Ram to MS-DOS (Harpoon II) or Win 7/XP. I would only ever be running 1 VM at any time. ANY advice is welcome.

A342
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Newbie on what to give to Windows

Post by andyp73 »

ACW342 wrote:I am a light user except when flying X Plane, and plan on giving 1or 2 cores and 10 GB Ram to MS-DOS (Harpoon II)
If you stick with the templates for the various guest operating systems you won't go far wrong. MS-DOS won't know what to do with the 2nd core or with 99% of the 10GB RAM! It will only need one core and at most 32MB RAM.

If you have the 32bit version of Windows XP/7 then 2 cores and 2GB RAM should be more than sufficient, with the 64bit version of Windows 7 you could go to 4GB RAM as you have plenty of it!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The advice regarding DOS is sound (pointless to give a 16bit single threaded OS that much RAM or cores), but XP and Win7 can benefit from being given more than the deliberately conservative template requests. I'd give both OS's 2 cores and 2GB RAM, 128MB graphics RAM. 32GB dynamic VDI.

Bear in mind however that this advice assumes that you'll be installing XP or Win7 yourself.
ACW342

Post by ACW342 »

Andyp73, mpak, Many thanks for your speedy replies. Yes I will be installing these myself and following your great advice. I will let the forum know how I get on. I'm not a computer expert, just a curious person who's progressed over the years through a C64, Amiga A500, several home built PCs but have now settled down with an iMac (yes, I'm an Apple fan boy (though at 69 I don't think 'Boy' quite fits me.)) Again, thanks for your help.

A342