Localhost problems

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Stephan_ZA

Localhost problems

Post by Stephan_ZA »

Hi,

I'm having issues with localhost, running Virtual Box on an Mac Hi-Sierra.

I install the VM as well as the Guest additions (need access to shared drives.

No other software gets installed except the software I'm busy testing.
After first install all goes well. The app open in my browser, I can operate it etc.
Going to sound strange but bear with me - I can then close and reopen the browser, and the app still opens and works.

Soon as I come in the next morning, my problems start.

When I try to run the app again, the browser opens but the app doesn't start, instead I get the old "localhost/connection refused" story.

I've tried every remedy under the sun listed on the net, nothing works. The only thing that DOES work, is trashing the VM and building new one.
Tis is not only time-consuming but also impractical.

Any idea what is causing this and how I can resolve this once and for all??

Thanks,
Stephan
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Localhost problems

Post by socratis »

To begin with, do you know what "localhost" stands for?

Answer, it depends where "you are". If you're sitting in front of your OSX, then localhost is your OSX. If you're controlling your VM, then localhost is your VM. If you're accessing the Mars Rover computer via SSH, then localhost is the Mars Rover.
Stephan_ZA wrote:No other software gets installed except the software I'm busy testing.
I take it you're not going to share with us what that software/app is or how you're testing it, are you?
Stephan_ZA wrote:instead I get the old "localhost/connection refused" story.
It may sound old to you, but I (at least) have no clue what you're talking about.
Stephan_ZA wrote:I've tried every remedy under the sun listed on the net, nothing works.
Start first by describing the problem, then what you tried. Remember, we're not in front of your computer, we're practically "blind", so you'll have to do a better job of describing the situation. You haven't even told us what your guest is!

Oh, and tell us why do you think it's a VirtualBox problem...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.