no drag and drop or clipboard

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
exzile9

no drag and drop or clipboard

Post by exzile9 »

hey how's it going folks, im running VirtualBoxVersion 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.3)
on a mac book pro osx host running El Capitan10.11.6 (15G1108), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB.

Problem im having is with the file sharing , it may be an permissions issue, im not sure. Im not able to drag and drop or copy and paste clipboard share.
ive done some searching and reading on the boards, but haven't been able to locate a solution. any help and direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: no drag and drop or clipboard

Post by socratis »

You didn't mention your guest, or if you've installed the Guest Additions (GAs) on the guest.

You should have a searchable PDF included with your installation (Help » Contents). Take advantage of that fact, and use it to search the PDF for the terms that interest you.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
chungliwen

Post by chungliwen »

Sounds like you haven't installed Guest Additions?

You can insert the Guest Additions image from Devices->Insert Guest Additions CD Image

Hope this helps (a bit).
teddy-v

Post by teddy-v »

In my case, I don't have access to the menu so that I can install the Guest Additions CD Image. There is a status bar on the VM window but no menus. In the settings for the VM, under User Interface, there is a checkbox to enable the status bar but no checkbox for the menu bar. The guest is Win 7. Virtual Box Version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.3). MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.5 (17F77).

Any ideas?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

teddy-v wrote:In my case, I don't have access to the menu so that I can install the Guest Additions CD Image...MacOS High Sierra
There need to be an act of the Parliament to hide the menu bar on OSX. So, how come you don't have a menu bar? The one with the Apple icon? 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
teddy-v

Post by teddy-v »

Yes, I have the MacOS menu. With the VM window active, the only menu option besides the apple is VirtualBox VM and there is no Options menu available from which to install the Guest Additions. My understanding is that the Options menu is displayed on a menu bar at the top the VM window similar to the status bar at the bottom. Here is a screenshot of the VirtualBox Settings for the VM in question:
Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 9.38.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 9.38.14 AM.png (45.64 KiB) Viewed 10894 times
As you can see, the checkbox to turn the Status Bar on/off is shown but the checkbox to turn the menu bar on/off is not shown - contrary to the online documentation.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Click on each and every word: Applications, Machine, View, Input, Devices, Debug, Window, Help. NOT ON THE ARROW. You'll see a square forming "capturing" each "word" (except Application). Then you'll have your menus next to the Apple logo... ;)
teddy-v

Post by teddy-v »

Nope - been there, done that.

This shows all but Application de-selected. Application won't change state like all the rest do. Anyway, it has no effect. The menu bar still does not display.
Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 5.01.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 5.01.57 PM.png (44.58 KiB) Viewed 10887 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Post a screenshot of your whole screen (resized to at least 25%) while the VM window has the focus. I'm a little bit of a doubting Thomas... ;)
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

teddy-v wrote: Anyway, it has no effect. The menu bar still does not display.
Stop all Vbox, including all VMs.
Restart VBox and VMs
teddy-v

Post by teddy-v »

OK, none of the suggested solutions worked. However, I found a way. Here is what I did.

With the VM window in focus, from the VirtualBox VM menu on the MacOS menu bar, I selected Preferences, then chose the Input option. This allowed me to set a shortcut key to Insert Guest Additions CD Image - see the image below. Once that was completed, I pressed the shortcut key I had set (Host+G), opened Windows Explorer, chose Computer, and the mounted CD image was available and I could install the Guest Additions. Problem solved.
Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 1.03.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 1.03.51 PM.png (71.24 KiB) Viewed 10840 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still not sure why I could not get the menu bar to display at the top of the VM window, but at least I found this workaround.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

teddy-v wrote:I'm still not sure why I could not get the menu bar to display at the top of the VM window
I'm going to wait for a judgement, and still remain a skeptical, until I've seen the following previous request fulfilled:
socratis wrote:Post a screenshot of your whole screen (resized to at least 25%) while the VM window has the focus.
PS. Just for the record, I also have a shortcut for that, HostKey+D. It used to be the default for VirtualBox, but got removed at some point, because some people had fat fingers... :D
teddy-v

Post by teddy-v »

I was going to fulfill the request but had a little trouble. If I have the VM window in focus, the shortcut keys to capture the screenshot don't pass through to MacOS. They stay in the VM. I can bring the VM into focus, then click on the MacOS desktop and clip the screen. Here it is, clipped to show the pertinent parts, I hope:
Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 1.47.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 1.47.07 PM.png (119.95 KiB) Viewed 10836 times
Is this what you wanted to see?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

teddy-v wrote:If I have the VM window in focus, the shortcut keys to capture the screenshot don't pass through to MacOS.
Preview.app » File » Take screenshot » From Entire screen. You have about 10" to arrange things (including focus), just the way you want... ;)

But, yes, that's exactly what I meant (almost, see above). If the VM has the focus, you don't have any menus? Where it now has " Finder File Edit View Go Window Help"?
teddy-v

Post by teddy-v »

Only the VirtualBox VM menu referenced above.
Cropped.png
Cropped.png (123.44 KiB) Viewed 10832 times
Thanks for the tutorial on the Preview app!