OMG PC lag in EQ/ EQ2 in Vm on mac high sierra

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Drakonrose

OMG PC lag in EQ/ EQ2 in Vm on mac high sierra

Post by Drakonrose »

Ok this is my last chance to play these games before I just throw in the towel all together.

I am adding my Mac info .
Mac :Model Name:	Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:	MacPro5,1
  Processor Name:	6-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:	3.33 GHz
  Number of Processors:	1
  Total Number of Cores:	6
  L2 Cache (per Core):	256 KB
  L3 Cache:	12 MB
  Memory:	32 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed:	6.4 GT/s
  Boot ROM Version:	MP51.0085.B00
  SMC Version (system):	1.39f11
  SMC Version (processor tray):	1.39f11
  Serial Number (system):	H01311W8EUH
  Serial Number (processor tray):	J532500CNCZJC     
  Hardware UUID:	AEAEBDF6-4EFB-567B-A96A-69F8244E3E3E
Running up to date Vm.

When I play the games there is a very disturbing lag. I have lowered the setting in the game to help but it has not. When I try to play most games on my Mac i get told that the " game is not optimized for this computer". D&D is one that I can't get past the log-in screen, Lord of the Rings I can play but it has a line that moves when character does. Right now Guild Wars 2 is the only game I have found that does not have any problems. I have tried a VM with win 10 and it was the same thing. I wanted a high end comp for Pantheon when it goes in to alpha. If I can't get EQ to work right in Vm on my machine I will have major problem with Pantheon.

My family are gamers. We even table top D&D with our daughter. So this is important. These types of games give my kids a view into that type of gaming and make it more understandable for them. Please can anyone help me making EQ/EQ2 not be laggy?
Last edited by socratis on 9. Jun 2018, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [pre] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OMG PC lag in EQ/ EQ2 in Vm on mac high sierra

Post by socratis »

Throw that towel. Give up all hope. Start investigating dual boot. :?

Programs like games, tend to push the physical hardware to their limit, hence the strict requirements for the graphics card (GPU) specifications. Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, especially on the video side. They use after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.

When I want to play some games on my Mac, I have an external USB3 hard drive with Win10 installed. I reboot my Mac and boot from that. That "system" doesn't even have internet on it, or any apps. It's purely gaming. You might want to consider something like that, since you're a hardcore gamer.

PS. Since you're not in a gaming forum, some rarely seen abbreviations could be explained, like D&D (which I don't believe is "drag and drop") and EQ/EQ2... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Drakonrose

Post by Drakonrose »

Sorry if I have confused anyone with my game chat. D&D is Dungeons and Dragons EQ is Everquest and Everquest 2 and Pantheon :rise of the fallen. These are all mmorpgs. I would like to thank you for telling me to throw the towel. It was very upfront and to the point.
You said, "they use after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card." Is there a way to get the vm to use my mac's video card? It runs a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB graphics? or will it even work on a vm?
Drakonrose

Post by Drakonrose »

Never mind. Just read a post about the last question I asked.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Again I'm afraid the news are not that great. The answer is no, you can't use your host's GPU. You only option is to pretty much wait for improved graphics support. I have no clue when this will happen, or if it will happen at all.

Just to give you an idea what you're looking at, the GPU in a VM has the capabilities of a 20-year old GPU, circa 1995-2000 (give or take 5). So, the latest games are not really playable. Even sometimes the old ones are not. VMs are not gaming system substitutes...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.