[Resolved] Windows Saying it's Already On Machine When it Isn't

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
gkvegan

[Resolved] Windows Saying it's Already On Machine When it Isn't

Post by gkvegan »

I previously had Windows 10 installed on my Mac with Parallels tryout. Then I found out about Virtualbox which is free so I uninstalled Parallels and trashed all the Windows folders. Now when I try installing Windows on Virtualbox it says Windows is already installed on my machine and it won't let me proceed. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I need to have windows on my mac so I can run Access for a class. I can't install Windows 10 with bootcamp on my MAC because it's from 2011. Plus I need to use OSX at the same becasue that were all my other software is.
Last edited by socratis on 9. Jun 2018, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Saying it's Already On Machine When it Isn't

Post by socratis »

gkvegan wrote:it says Windows is already installed
Who is "it"? Who says that Windows is installed? Exact error message and/or a screenshot (if necessary).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gkvegan

Post by gkvegan »

"it" is the Windows installer.
Windows [Running] 2018-06-09 12-54-35.jpg
Windows [Running] 2018-06-09 12-54-35.jpg (117.49 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1) Where does it say that Windows is installed?
2) That's Windows standard procedure. Your VM is isolated from the host. It can't know what's going on.

What happened is you reached a point where you were offered to "Upgrade" or "Custom Install". You chose "Upgrade" and you were greeted with that dialog. You should have chosen "Custom Install". Try it again...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gkvegan

Post by gkvegan »

Sorry. Yes I just figured it out. Choose custom and it installed fine. Thank you!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].