Installation Questions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
feng9661

Installation Questions

Post by feng9661 »

Hello,
I was wondering when installing virtual window to macOS, it asked for memory to be allocated into window. If I ever remove the window virtual system, how can I recover the memory taken out of the macOS for the window?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installation Questions

Post by socratis »

"Memory" has been a known issue of misunderstanding. There's RAM, and there is hard disk space:
  • If you're talking about RAM (usually measured in MB), if you're not running VirtualBox, no RAM is consumed.
  • If you're talking about hard disk space (usually measured in GB), if you delete the VM, then you're given an option to delete all the hard disk space occupied by the VM
You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
feng9661

Post by feng9661 »

Thanks for your prompt reply. So in regards to your answer of :If you're talking about hard disk space (usually measured in GB), if you delete the VM, then you're given an option to delete all the hard disk space occupied by the VM"

Once VN is deleted, and option of the hard disk space associated with that particular VM is also deleted, does it automatically recover into the host machine? as with apple boot camp on macbook i was told something differently from a apple advisor. I was told if ever need to deleted the secondary OS then I would have to recover it back into the main host OS manually, which is the only reason I asked if it needs to be done the same for virtualbox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

No, it's not like Bootcamp. Bootcamp takes a physical partition of the hard disk. In contrast, the virtual hard drive of the VM is a file on your hard drive. If you delete the file, the space returns to your host, like any other file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.