[Solved] Error while executing `VBoxManage`

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
JoshuaScott

[Solved] Error while executing `VBoxManage`

Post by JoshuaScott »

When I start up my vagrant (which used to work and works on other machines) I am getting the following error:

Code: Select all

There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["startvm", "d34980ac-9684-42ca-b627-560fe6fcf234", "--type", "headless"]

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'grants-network_default_1527871143674_69453' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, but to no avail. Also the gui version of Vbox will not load when double clicked either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by socratis on 10. Jun 2018, 09:18, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error while executing `VBoxManage`

Post by socratis »

JoshuaScott wrote:When I start up my vagrant
Vagrant is a program that relies on VirtualBox but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own Vagrant support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox (Vagrant-less), then we can continue this discussion.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JoshuaScott

Post by JoshuaScott »

As I stated in my original post. VirtualBox does not load even by double clicking the icon. To verify that this was NOT a vagrant issue I even uninstalled both and ONLY installed VirtualBox and it still doesn’t load even though it used to just fine. So I think this is the appropriate place to address this issue since it is a VBox problem not a Vagrant one.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, just wanted to make sure that we're on the same page. So, you won't mind if I change the title of the thread from "Error while executing `VBoxManage` when running vagrant up" to "Error while executing `VBoxManage`", OK?

You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a test file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...
  1. Download the latest release, or the latest test build (NOT the development snapshot), if you don't already have them.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Make sure you're part of the "admin" group. If you are logged in with the primary user account/owner, you are part of the admin group. You can verify it with the "id" command.
  4. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  7. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open "Console.app" and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JoshuaScott

Post by JoshuaScott »

Ok. So I did as requested. I have attached the install log. Nothing happens when I double click the application icon and there is no error log. Thanks for your help, please let me know what to try next.
Attachments
Installer Log 2-Jun-2018.txt
Installer Log
(28.75 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
JoshuaScott

Post by JoshuaScott »

Any feedback on this? This is the only application on my mac that DOESN'T work.

Please advise.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jun  2 20:48:01 Joshua-Scotts-iMac deleted[579]: diskmanagement: [DMManager(PrivateMethods)
                clientConforms:error:]: currentThread=15363=0x3c03 expectedThread=20743=0x5107
You have a lot of these messages, and I have no clue what they're about. I'm getting them as well in my installer log, just not as many as you. I think that this is completely irrelevant with your problem, I'm just mentioning it for posterity...

What happens when running the following commands from the Terminal?
  • 
    echo $PATH
    VBoxManage -version

Any system-wide-modifying software installations? Like HomeBrew, MacPorts?
JoshuaScott

Post by JoshuaScott »

Here is what I get:

Joshua-Scotts-iMac:~ joshuascott$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Public:/usr/local/apache-ant/bin:/usr/local/bin
Joshua-Scotts-iMac:~ joshuascott$ VBoxManage -version
5.2.12r122591
Joshua-Scotts-iMac:~ joshuascott$
I have npm and Brew installed, but no recent updates or installations.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

JoshuaScott wrote:/usr/local/bin:
That being the first in the search path list is the result of 'brew' being installed. It modifies the system preferences so that its own binaries have precedence over the system's binaries. Something to keep in mind...

"VBoxManage" seems to run, so, are you still getting the following symptom?
JoshuaScott wrote:Nothing happens when I double click the application icon and there is no error log.
What about if you look in your "~/Library/VirtualBox"? Is there anything there, mainly the "VBoxSVC.log"? What if you try to launch VirtualBox from the command line? As in "VirtualBox", no parameters? Any VBox* processes? Use the Activity Monitor, while viewing "All Processes", helps if you sort them reverse alphabetically...
JoshuaScott

Post by JoshuaScott »

I have attached the log.

When I try to run VirtualBox from the command line I get this:

VirtualBox: Error -610 in supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime!
VirtualBox: dlopen("/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxRT.dylib",) failed: <NULL>

VirtualBox: Tip! It may help to reinstall VirtualBox.
I have installed and reinstalled Virtual Box several times.

I really appreciate your help.
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log
(27 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

This looks and smells a bit like an issue someone had with VirtualBox 5.1.22 wont start on Mac OS earlier in the year which turned out to be a permissions issue.

The starting point to a resolution was posting the output of the following command:
ls -laed \
  / \
  /Applications \
  /Applications/VirtualBox.app \
  /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxRT.dylib \
  /private \
  /private/etc \
  /private/etc/sudoers \
  /private/tmp
-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
JoshuaScott

Post by JoshuaScott »

Here are the results:

drwxr-xr-x@  35 root         wheel     1120 Jun  8 08:19 /
drwxrwxr-x+ 221 joshuascott  staff     7072 Jun  8 09:06 /Applications
 0: group:everyone deny delete
drwxr-xr-x    3 root         admin       96 Jun  2 20:48 /Applications/VirtualBox.app
-rw-r--r--    1 root         admin  5516032 May  9 04:20 /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxRT.dylib
drwxr-xr-x    6 root         wheel      192 Dec  2  2017 /private
drwxr-xr-x  134 root         wheel     4288 Jun  7 10:54 /private/etc
-r--r-----    1 root         wheel     2309 Oct 12  2015 /private/etc/sudoers
drwxrwxrwt   29 root         wheel      928 Jun  8 12:11 /private/tmp
Let me know how I should proceed.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Andy already gave you the article to read:
andyp73 wrote:This looks and smells a bit like an issue someone had with VirtualBox 5.1.22 wont start on Mac OS earlier in the year which turned out to be a permissions issue.
You seem to have the exact same problem:
JoshuaScott wrote:
drwxrwxr-x+ 221 joshuascott  staff     7072 Jun  8 09:06 /Applications
You'll need to change the owner:group for your /Applications folder. Read the thread that Andy pointed you to for the solution...
JoshuaScott

Post by JoshuaScott »

That fixed it. Thanks so much!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].