[Solved] Unable to Access Files from Mounted VDI

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
643.com

Re: Unable to Access Files from Mounted VDI

Post by 643.com »

Yes!

That is something I haven't done in previous attempts. Will do that right now.

Question(s):
1. is the "take ownership" process done within windows (i.e. the "permissions" under "security" when right clicking?) or within VirtualBox GUI or somewhere else?
2. do i add the VM2 within the "storage" tab of the VirtualBox GUI? (when I have done that in the past, at Windows boot up, there is a setting that says "repairing drive"...and it seems like it is after that process that I can't view the files I need)

Thank you!
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

1. The "take ownership" process needs to be done inside the guest, you need to 'fix' the access rights of the folders/files inside the disk file system.
2. yes, that's the only way. Windows is 'repairing' the drive (chkdsk) because the file system was not shutdown correctly when the drive was last used.
643.com

Post by 643.com »

THANKS!

Working on that right now and will post update...
643.com

Post by 643.com »

OKAY!

So, I think I am close! I took ownership of the drive (F: in this case - it is the mounted VM2 VDI). See screen print:
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 4.54.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 4.54.33 PM.png (85.9 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
I watched the files and found some of the files I have been looking for go across the screen! They were in a folder the window identified as:

f:\Found.000\dir0364.chk\NicoleAdmin

(NicoleAdmin was the user for VM2!)

HOWEVER, when I look for those files in the mounted VM2 VDI, I can't find them! I searched the drive in Explorer...I enabled "hidden" folders. I can't find them anywhere!

So close...what am I missing?
643.com

Post by 643.com »

FIXED!!!!

In the process of taking ownership of the files and adding permissions to the new user, I noticed several files from VM1 referenced in the files that were under the new ownership.

When the process completed, I searched in Explorer for these files (for instance: QuickBooks). The files were found! When I opened the file location, the location was:

Found001...

I found the User Files in one of these folders! I am copying them now and everything is going splendidly!

Thanks for all of your help. I don't know how to mark this resolved, but success!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [Solved] Unable to Access Files from Mounted VDI

Post by mpack »

Well done, thanks for reporting back. I marked the topic as solved for you.