putting Sierra on VB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Nealt

putting Sierra on VB

Post by Nealt »

I have the Sierra installer file it is a dmg or I could open it up to reveal the .app. However VB seems to want an iso file.

So what are the steps to install Sierra in VB?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: putting Sierra on VB

Post by socratis »

Nealt wrote:it is a dmg or I could open it up to reveal the .app
I'm sorry, but I don't understand that part... What do you mean it's in a DMG? Typically the Apple installer for 10.12 (Sierra), comes as an application, not in a DMG. Could you explain?

And can you go into your OSX "System Information" and post the "Model Identifier"? I want to see if Sierra can run on what you have.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Nealt

Post by Nealt »

When you download an apple installer it comes as a .dmg file. If you open it you will see the install.app.

Clearly I want to use VB to create an Sierra system in VB because my Mac Pro 3.1 will not install directly Sierra. So I created a .iso disk with the sierra install app on it.
All I get is: see attachment.
Others have installed Sierra in VB and I wonder how they did it.
Attachments
201805143_2105-CapturFiles.png
201805143_2105-CapturFiles.png (13.67 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Nealt wrote:When you download an apple installer it comes as a .dmg file.
No, it doesn't. Do you have a link? How did you download it?

I want to see a ZIPPED VBox.log from the failed attempt that you have the screenshot for.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.