Multi monitor - multi-desktop : desktop switches !

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
AALLeeXX
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Ubuntu

Multi monitor - multi-desktop : desktop switches !

Post by AALLeeXX »

Hello,

For a while now (sorry don't remember exactly) it happens that when clicking in the Guest disturbs my MacOs selected spaces. Sorry I'm not sure of the wording on Mac.

Here are the details:
  • I have 2 monitors, the mac's built-in and and external one.
  • Each monitor has 3 spaces.
  • VB first starts on Mac's display, let say space #1, the leftmost.
  • The guest window opens on the external monitor, let says also space #1, the leftmost.
  • On Mac's display, I select another space, ie #2 and another application, let say Finder.
  • When I click in the guest window (external monitor, space #1), that windows takes the focus - this is expected.
  • When I click again in the guest (same location or not) then the Mac's spaces changes back from #2 to #1 !!
I don't expect any change in my displayed desktops/monitors just because I click in the guest.
Not sure it's a VB problem, but I have this behaviour only with VB, so I imagine...

The host:
  • Nom du modèle : iMac
    Identifiant du modèle : iMac17,1
    Nom du processeur : Intel Core i7
    Vitesse du processeur : 4 GHz
    Nombre de processeurs : 1
    Nombre total de cœurs : 4
    .../...
    Version SMC (système) : 2.34f2
    Version du système : macOS 10.13.5 (17F66a)
    Version du noyau : Darwin 17.6.0

Virtual box:
  • Version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.3)
    GA on Guest
    3D enabled
Guest:
  • Ubuntu 18.04
    X11
    Gnome
Not sure what other info I can report... Any clue here ?
Thanks
Last edited by AALLeeXX on 23. May 2018, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Multi monitor - multi-desktop : desktop switches !

Post by ChipMcK »

AALLeeXX

Post by AALLeeXX »

Thanks for all these resources. Checked them, but I think I need to restart everything to get it working as expected...
Will mark it solved later if I can fix it...
AALLeeXX

Post by AALLeeXX »

Well, I thought I had to reboot the mac, or restart VB - I did both, but no way ! This problem is still there.
It seems to be related to one of the Mission control option, "When switching to an application, activate a Space with the application windows", but even this one is unselected (like all others), the problem remains.
Unlike some of the post described, it's not a focus problem, but rather Spaces that change just because I click (not 1st click, but the second one).
What I even found today again, is that there are even case where the space slides automatically - without any action from me ! It's like it's recalled by a spring, back to the previous space (the one containing Virtual box application, not the Guest window).

Exact steps, with the same setup as described above:
  • The guest window opens on the external monitor, let says also space #1, the leftmost.
  • On Mac's display, I select another space, from #1 to #2 by swiping 2 fingers on the magic mouse to the right.
  • Space #2 appears...but only shortly !! Space #1 is immediately "recalled" !! No need to click, just swipe...
  • On Mac's display, I select another space, from #1 to #3 by QUICKLY swiping 2 fingers on the magic mouse to the right TWICE.
  • Space #3 appears...and remains !
Back to the first problem, triggered by a click, what is quite surprising is the space that is recalled is not the one that shows VB - If I move VB window from space #1 to #3, above steps will have the same behaviour exactly.
Only thing I can tell is VB was started on that space, #1.

So, even it looks like a Mission control settings or bug, this happens only with Virtual box. For example, maybe not good, but Firefox that also can have plenty of different windows does not trigger this behaviour...

Unfortunately, still open ...
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

AALLeeXX wrote:So, even it looks like a Mission control settings or bug, this happens only with Virtual box. For example, maybe not good, but Firefox that also can have plenty of different windows does not trigger this behaviour...
Funny you mentioned Firefox in the last paragraph, because as I was reading your message I was thinking of replying:

"This is not a VirtualBox issue, this is an OSX issue. I've never seen the exact same thing that you describe happening, but not with VirtualBox, I see it all the time happening with other apps, mainly Firefox."

My answer still is the same... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

@AALLeeXX
Unfortunately, still open ...
I suggest Apple's discusion forums for additional help.

This forum is for VBox issues, not how is use your host