Crackling sound in Windows 95

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Tohru

Crackling sound in Windows 95

Post by Tohru »

Host : MacBook Pro Retina (13 inches), early 2015
Virtual Machine : Windows 95

Hi everyone,

So I installed Windows 95 on my MacBook. It works pretty well, except for the sound which is always crackling. Since I use this virtual machine to play to my old games, it is very frustrating.

I looked everywhere on the Internet for an answer but I didn't find one. Has anyone here been facing the same issue ? Did you find a solution ?

Thanks by advance !

PS : I tried to find a free "folder to ISO" converter to reinstall the audio drivers for Windows 95 (I downloaded them) but I didn't find any software that is running on mac ... if you know one please tell me !
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Crackling sound in Windows 95

Post by socratis »

Tohru wrote:to reinstall the audio drivers for Windows 95 (I downloaded them)
What? Why? What did you do? You shouldn't have to download anything if you went with the default SoundBlaster audio, as it was offered by the template. Did you change the audio options, and if yes, why?

We're going to need a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Gathering the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the error, i.e. launch the game (what game is this?) and observe the cracking.
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Tohru wrote: I tried to find a free "folder to ISO" converter ... I didn't find any software that is running on mac ... if you know one please tell me !
I know several, but I'd suggest Keka. Rock-solid, a gazillion of options:
  • Compression formats supported: 7z, Zip, Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, DMG, ISO
  • Extraction formats supported: RAR, 7z, Lzma, xz, Zip, Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, ISO, EXE, CAB, PAX
If you don't want to download a program, you know that you already have that capability built-into OSX, right? Disk Utility » File » New Image » Image from Folder... » (select folder) » Image Format: DVD/CD master.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tohru

Post by Tohru »

Hi Socratis,

Thanks a lot for your help ! Actually this is the first time I create a VirtualBox, so I may be a little awkward ...

As for the audio settings, I did not changed anything : I am using the SoundBlaster 16 with CoreAudio. But the sound cracks from the moment I start the VM to the moment I shut it down (not only while playing).

I use game on ISO. If you are curious, I tried with my childhood games (pure nostalgia) : GrandPa Mouse's Magic Tales (Baba Yaga and the Magic Geese), a 3-games compilation for children by IMB (Magic Theater, Undersea Adventures and Jump Start Kindergarten), and Marco Polo (by Infogrames and Philips). I truly love the last one.

Anyway, I did exactly what you told me and attached the log to this post. Thank you so much for helping me !

Oh and sorry if I am not clear sometimes or if I do mistakes, English isn't my native language.
Attachments
VMLog.zip
The log from my VirtualBox
(21.74 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Tohru

Post by Tohru »

Hi Socratis,

I finally found a solution to my problem :
I downloaded Realtek drivers for Windows 95 on Realtek's website, packed them in an iso with Keka (putting the files in a folder first), then installed it on my virtual machine. I shut my machine down, went Settings > Sound, and set ICH AC97 as the sound driver instead of SoundBlaster. It works perfectly !

Thanks for helping me, I couldn't do this without Keka.

Have a nice day !
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Tohru,

I didn't have enough time to test your setup. The only thing I managed was to download "Marco Polo" (from archive.org from all places) but I haven't been able to try it. Can't promise that I will. I'll keep the tab on my browser open until I find some time to test it. BTW, my oldest available Windows is 98SE, so I'm not sure what results I'll get...

At least, you got it working! ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tohru

Post by Tohru »

Hi Socratis,
No problem, it is all fine :) If you got the time to see what's wrong with the log please let me know ! (actually, my fix doesn't work with Marco Polo because this game only works with SoundBlaster !!)
Thanks a lot and have a nice day !
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Tohru,
I have Marco Polo. I haven't been able to test it, I have about 30 tabs open in the virtualbox.org domain alone. :shock:
I'll get to it, eventually, even if just out of curiosity... ;)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Tohru, I got nothing, I couldn't make it work. I tried different settings, drivers, nothing. :?

I have an old PC that has 640 MB of RAM and (I believe) 1 GB IDE hard drive. I think the Sound Blaster still works, although I haven't turned on that computer in the last 15 years! ;)