VM display not in window when 3D acceleration enabled

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
foo_

VM display not in window when 3D acceleration enabled

Post by foo_ »

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB

VirtualBox Version 5.2.12 r122591

Issue with any VM (Ubuntu, Windows, etc) with 3D acceleration enabled

When I first start a VM with 3D acceleration enabled, I have an issue when I move the window for the VM display that the window frame moves but the display remains stuck in the same position (see attached). I need to minimise the window and then restore it again for the behaviour to go back to normal. Any body else having this issue with VirtualBox for Mac? PS I think I've only noticed this behaviour since going to VirtualBox ver 5.
Attachments
screenshot 3.jpg
screenshot 3.jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
screenshot 2.jpg
screenshot 2.jpg (33.24 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: VM display not in window when 3D acceleration enabled

Post by andyp73 »

A quick tip for the future, when posting images can you reduce the size and dpi - not everyone is blessed with the technology to cope! :)

This is a known issue with High Sierra. See #17168: VB display frame and content are no longer bound in High Sierra (osx 10.13) for details of the available workarounds.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VM display not in window when 3D acceleration enabled

Post by socratis »

foo_ wrote:Any body else having this issue with VirtualBox for Mac?
Yes, you're not the only one. All of the OSX 10.13.x users are having the same issue (since 10.13 beta). See "VB display frame and content are no longer bound in High Sierra (osx 10.13)". There are 4 known workarounds...
foo_ wrote:I think I've only noticed this behaviour since going to VirtualBox ver 5.
It's a combination. You've got to use 10.13.x as well. I have no problem at all with 10.11.6 (or 10.9.0 up to 10.12.6) with any VirtualBox version.
 Edit: And this is what happens when you edit your reply for more than 1/2 hour... ;) 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.