[WorksForMe] Internet access Windows 10 not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
robertfichtinger

[WorksForMe] Internet access Windows 10 not working

Post by robertfichtinger »

Dear all,

Until a short while ago Windows 10 was functioning perfectly when booted from VirtualBox on my Mac. However, since recently (I suspect after upgrading to VirtualBox 5.2.10r122088) the internet connection can not be established any more from within the booted Windows 10 (64-bit, version 1709, 16299.371). The Mac version I am using is macOS High Sierra 10.13.4. The guest addition ISO I have loaded is VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.10-1220088.iso. The extension pack I have installed is version 5.2.10r122088.

So I have the following set-up: I receive Wifi from my laptop (Interface: en0: Airport Extreme).
The VirtualBox Network setting (viewed when Windows is not running) is:
- In the VirtualBox preferences - Network - NatNetwork - 10.0.2.0/24 - DHCP enabled
- In the VirtualBox Machine - Settings - Network - Adapter 1 - NAT - Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM) - cable connected.

After starten the Machine, no internet connection can be established. The network problem solver in Windows 10 says it has something to do with the following:
- No communication is possible between Windows and the source (primary DNS-server).
- Connection is possibly blocked by security or firewall settings.

Regarding the settings in Windows: these have not been altered in any way since the last time internet was functioning. So I do not suspect anything wrong there. I think it is more likely it has something to do with the VirtualBox settings.

Can anyone rescue me? :)

Thank you,

Robert
Last edited by socratis on 7. May 2018, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
robertfichtinger

Re: Internet access Windows 10 not working

OK, so I resolved the issue. Very stupid mistake!

It was my VPN provider, in which the 'Kill switch' was enabled.. After disabling it, Google popped up! :)
Last edited by robertfichtinger on 7. May 2018, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Try the following "commands" from a Command Prompt on your guest. I've included a sample output, with only the parameters that you should be focusing on:
> ipconfig /all
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-36-28-0C
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.15(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1

> ping <DefaultGateway>             <-- tests your connectivity
> ping 1.1.1.1                      <-- tests outgoing connectivity
> ping download.virtualbox.org      <-- tests name resolution
Report any misconfiguration, or any errors from the "ping" commands.

If you can ping your "DefaultGateway", if you can ping "1.1.1.1", if you can ping "download.virtualbox.org", VirtualBox is working as it should. You should look elsewhere for your networking connectivity. Look in your host for firewalls, proxies, antivirus filters, web-cleaning applications, redirectors, etc.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I was in the middle of replying and I didn't notice that you found the answer... ;). But since it contains information that might help you in the future, I'll let it stand.

Glad you got it going. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
robertfichtinger

Re: [WorksForMe] Internet access Windows 10 not working

Well your answer would have lead me to the right solution as well, so thank you for the fast and adequate help! :D