Disable bridge adapter on OSX

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Sonuk

Re: Disable bridge adapter on OSX

Post by Sonuk »

Now Virtual box is crashing frequently , below is the error message.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine test.

The virtual machine 'test' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You broke it! Now you got to fix it... ;)
I told you I didn't know of the interactions. There's got to be a reason that it's not an option. But... keep up the hacking spirit! And if you manage to find a solution, let us know...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sonuk

Post by Sonuk »

Let's see
Sonuk

Post by Sonuk »

Hi,
is there any way to disable NAT adapter on virtual box in such a way that users doesnt have access to NAT adapter.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

First of all, moving the thread to "OSX Hosts" from "Using VirtualBox".

Second... why? You want to disable Bridged, you want to disable NAT. Is this a setup in a "managed" environment, like a school or a company? If yes, then you got to keep in mind that this was/is not part of the VirtualBox philosophy. You could disable some things, but every user with access to the manual could revert them.

So, the question is: what are you trying to do? And why?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sonuk

Post by Sonuk »

Hi Sir,

we are setting up a development environment in local laptops to perform their testing with masked data , but as per my company standards users should have internet connectivity on the Virtual machine , so we have to do disable NAT or users shouldnt have access to network adapters.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sonuk wrote:we are setting up a development environment
And you don't even trust your own developers? You should. That capability is not provided by VirtualBox.
Sonuk

Post by Sonuk »

So there is no way to stop users to accessing internet?
Sonuk

Post by Sonuk »

Hi ,

Its not about the trust , thats the requirement of the project.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you trust your developers, and the requirements of the project are "No Internet access", then simply tell your developers to not access the internet. Or to enable any NICs. Or to have the "cable" disconnected.

But if you're looking for an administrative way to disable internet access from within a 100% user-controlled program, no, there's no way as far as I know.