[SOLVED] virtual machine management interface not displaying

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
kuyaedz

[SOLVED] virtual machine management interface not displaying

Post by kuyaedz »

I'm not sure what I managed to do to screw this up but when I launch Virtualbox I see the status bar at the top change but I never get a management interface window. I have multiple virtual machines but, of course, the default is the first one which is the only one I can start via "Machine > Start".

Anyone have any idea how I can get the management interface back or even be able to select a different VM without the main window?

Using 1.6.4 on OS X 10.5.4
Last edited by kuyaedz on 20. Aug 2008, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
amagine
Volunteer

VBox --- Manager...

Post by amagine »

Sounds like the Linking is mussed.. but just for Murphy's sake...

Are you launching VirtualBox from the Dock OR from the VirtualBox.app that is located where you installed VirtualBox?

If you are launching from the DOCK, you may have selected the VirtualBox VM application (not to be mistaken for VirtualBox application which is the manager part) which would essentially launch that VirtualBox VM... Virtual Machine...

Hope that is all it is...
kuyaedz

Re: VBox --- Manager...

Post by kuyaedz »

amagine wrote: ...
Are you launching VirtualBox from the Dock OR from the VirtualBox.app that is located where you installed VirtualBox?
I have tried it from Quicksilver, I have tried it from the Applications menu and I have tried it from the Terminal via "VirtualBox". They all result in the same thing.. I get the VirtualBox menu at the top but no windows.

It did work in the past and I was using it in conjunction with an external monitor. I wonder if, somehow, the management window is out-of-bounds on a no-longer connected display... problem is I don't have an external right now to test that theory with.
amagine
Volunteer

Reset Window Positions...

Post by amagine »

Ahh sounds like you figured it out!

The VirtualBox Window must be launching into No-Mans-Land...

Window Position setting for VBox is HERE:

~/YourHome/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml

Open this file in TextEdit or whatever fav. edit..

Look for:
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPostion" value="-124,372,770,550"/>

Try testing the first value... or any value that appears negative...

Hope this helps!
kuyaedz

Re: Reset Window Positions...

Post by kuyaedz »

amagine wrote: Look for:
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPostion" value="-124,372,770,550"/>

Hope this helps!
I copied the values that you have and restarted VirtualBox and up it came. It looks like it was displaying way below the current window. Good to know about that value. I would have had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to move it back without a secondary display (and this week I'm traveling so no secondary display to be used!)

Thank you!
amagine
Volunteer

VBox Manager Window... Multi-display ---> Single display

Post by amagine »

Absolutely Welcome.

This looks like a Bug.

Without a Window menu, there is no way to MINIMIZE or ZOOM the Manager Window to GRAB it back into the display window.

Also should be a quick check to make sure Window Position value is within a meaning full range.

** Edit **

Added this as a BUG to the Public BugTracker
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

Forgive me because I am not a Mac guy, but this is quite a common situation on Windows if you run dual head, especially if you use a laptop where the second head is only available if you are docked. Apps can remember their window location off the visible view frame.

The standard Windows work-around is to set focus in the invisible window using the taskbar or ALT+TAB, then do ALT+SPACE,M. The arrow keys then move the window, and the "target" then snaps back into the visible view frame. Do the equivalent shortcuts exist/work on the Mac?
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
amagine
Volunteer

Common Ground...

Post by amagine »

I believe there are equivalents in Universal Access.

There is the spaces command to collect all windows, but is dependent on applications 'Opting In' as opposed to 'Opting Out'

Using Detect Displays also works. (just tested this)

Zoom usually fixes this issue of a detached second head, although this is dependent on the Application adhering to Apple GUI standards.

VirtualBox does not (beyond visuals) adhere to Apple windowing standards completely, although Apple's relaxing of control over windows can just as well be pointed to as an issue.

Essentially this particular problem amounts to a simple fix (short applescript even on launch) for what is a minor bug (either apples bug or Vbox's) and a major gui annoyance.